where to start for a newby with a new rifle- 6.5 creedmoor...

So im getting a new rifle after the SHOT show this year. its a new rifle that will be debuted there and after its over I will get my hands on it. All I can say right now is it is a 6.5 creedmoor 26" et model by major manufacture, and im topping it with a Vortex PST 6x24x50 FFP with the EBR 2-C moa reticle.

You need to know this will be my first venture into the whole long range game. I am a hobbyist when it comes to reloading- basically I know the basics, have been loading both rifle and shotgun since 92, but ive never really gotten too technical with the rifle stuff.

My questions are around the load development stage.

my plan was to first start out working up to the 41.5 amax load. im going to use imr 4350 as ive got about 15 lbs of it laying around. if I cant get acceptable results ill change that up later.

Once I find the best powder load I was then going to work on seating depth. ive recently gotten some hornady oal guage and bullet comparator. this will be my first time using these. do you get a basic load then work on the seating or do you sort of work on it all at the same time, for those who use the oal gauges?

thanks!

michael

I always research what others are doing with a particular bullet. Bergers like to be close to the lands, so I'd start close if I were loading Bergers. I load Hornady Amax loads in four calibers and all of them like to be around .02 off the lands. When I did a new load with an Amax I would start it at .02 and then just play with the powder charge. I know Hornady makes a match load in 6.5 Creedmore and puts the load right on the box. You might shoot a box and see how it works...if it is good you have a good starting point.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.