Where to go with a Sako TRG-S in Lazzeroni Firebird?

guns_and_labs

OK, so I have a relatively stock Sako TRG-S chambered in the Lazzeroni 7mm, the Firebird. It's put in several fine hunting seasons, being very consistent at about 1 MOA with factory-loaded 140 gr. Nosler Partitions (probably the only instance in history where the Partitions are the accuracy leader). Zeroed at 300 yards, it's been quite deadly out to that range. Handloading has not improved the groups significantly...not surprising given its factory barrel.

Good performance, but not great, and I find myself using my more accurate rifles. So, what to do with the Sako?

My first step would be to rebarrel, 'natch. But, since I'm going to do that, should I switch to another chambering? What's the 7mm chambering of choice these days, for hyper accurate performance at longish ranges? Or should I drop to 6.5x284, which seems to be very successful?

And can I even contemplate using the TRG-S beyond 500 yards anyway? It doesn't seem the stiffest design.

i think the next question is what range are you talking about and what size game? hyper accurate performance at longish range doesn't quite nail it down.

OK, say deer/antelope out to 500-600 yds, if necessary, but with enough power for an elk closer in. That's kind of the description for the Firebird. I could always just go for a better barrel, but thought I ought to check if there's something better out there.

Guns and Labs, What do you call good groups but not great? Accuracy is a big swing. What ranges have you shot at before for groups? You are riding alot of recoil with the Firebird for only needing/and or wanting 600 yds of killing power! Lots of choices out there, but you might check out your throat on the Laz. I've seen some long throats which don't always lend themselves to top accuracy with many bullets. The Nosler Part and Barnes X both shoot well with jump. Others don't jump well and you need to be closer to the lands. You don't need all the velocity you have. Maybe, set back your barrel, slow down your load and peak up your accuracy??

for what you describe a 7mm rem mag would be plenty.trouble with the laz is, you can't just rechamber to other cartridges,it's way too fat.rechambering to the firebird is about your only option.there are other choices, but not worth it.i'm with the last guy,rechamber to the firebird,get some longer bullets,and you'll have plenty to shoot elk with at 500.try some 160 accubonds,or 175 sierras,don't shoot em as fast as you can and i'll bet your down range accuracy will be better.if you're dead set to rebarrel,that opens up a whole bunch of more options but the bolt face of a laz might keep you in the "big leagues". laz, dakota, lapua.

I just had a customer in your shoes with the Sako but his issue was lack of accuracy with the factory barrel. I rebarreled his in 338 Lapua mag with a Hart barrel and a break. It is an honest 1/2 moa rifle with its' hunting weight barrel. It is an option for you to consider. I am kind of a .338 sort of guy anyway but the accuracy of this round with the 225 accubond was impressive.

What was the recoil like, Firebird vs. .338 Lapua?

Potential recoil aside, the .338 Lapua has a lot going for it... factory loadings for ordinary work, good brass, good accuracy potential with handloads.

Rumor has it that the 7mm Allen Mag is based on the .338 Lapua Magnum case, which would mean a relatively easy conversion from the Firebird. That ought to give me the benefits of the Firebird, but with infinitely better brass...

Hmm, this might be the path...

Time for an email to Kirby...

I might be mistaken but I thought Kirby based them on the 338 RUM, drop him a line to be sure. Recoil with the brake was a nonissue. It is quite a pleasant rifle to shoot.

The 257 and 6.5mm AMs are based on the 338 RUM case. The 270 AM is on the 7mm RUM but with the 7mm Allen Mag I did depart from the RUM case in an effort to get stronger, better quality brass. It is based on the Lapua.

317564.jpg

This is a virgin 7mm-338 Lapua flanked by two formed 7mm Allen Magnum rounds.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts