Where is that Stoney Point tripod picture?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, maybe my brain isn't working yet this morning at 4:24 am.

Where did I just see a picture of someone's XP and a Stoney Point tripod with a 4th leg supporting the forearm of the gun's stock?

I own a tripod but want to order the 4th leg thingamajig. I can't tell from SP's website exactly what it is I'd be ordering.

Here is the setup that Tom posted
DSCN0309.jpg

Len...I've been fooling around with the same set up and having a tough time getting the side to side wobble out of my shooting. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...ideas fellas??

Took the fourth leg off and use my knee for the rear support...problem solved.

Dan, I wondered about that.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think the best sitting setup may be Harris on the front and shooting hand or stock butt resting on the SP tripod (without the Tag-along). Have you tried that for the really long shots?

I continue in this thread....... Hope it's ok?

I want one tripod like this, but which size for sitting down?
I'am thinking of the same size they use in the DVD: Best of the West.

Is it "Compact tripod" size 16 to 38"
Or the Explorer tripod size 25 to 62"

Will be using this for rifle shooting, sitting down. And i'am 6 feet tall if that should matter?

Some1 who knows?

Mine is the compact version, it should work for a rifle as well.
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have the explorer... It is great. I am 6'3" and use it a lot. I like the longer one for coyote hunting.. It has the right height if you are on flat land or side hill. Plus you can extend it to full length and it is great for glassing support and standing shots, if the terrain is dictating that standing is your only option.

Len, i used the stoney point in WY lst season . I had a 115 yd shot with it with no problems. however for really long shots i do not think it would be steady enough , i like the idea of using a harris for the front and the stoney point bipod for the rear. that should be a much steadier setup. the best is prone with a harris or a back pack.

Dan and Len

In the picture the pistol is placed on the tripod
wrong.

Turn the pistol around with the fore arm on the
by pod. and your hand or the back of the stock
on the forth leg .this will stop the side to side
movement.

You can make an el shape piece to replace the back
V suport that will suport the back of the stock
without interfering with your grip hand.

I like using it under my wrist so I have vertical
control (up or down).

Try this and see if it helps.
J E CUSTOM

JE, I used the stoney point both ways. with the grip sitting on the bipod itself provided more stability for me than the other way. to adjust elevation all I have to do is pull/push the add on arm. one thing I did have to do is reinforce the connection of the add on. I did this by wrapping electrical tape on the bipod and then ataching the arm. this provides a much more stable unit that will not move unless you want it to. also by using the bipod for the rear support it allows me to get closer to the scope and gun as the bipod can be placed closer to the body.
this is the way it works best for me

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.