When to give up on a barrel?

Riverguy

Here is my dilemma. I purchased a new fierce carbon fury 28 nos this spring.
I like the rifle but it will not keep 5 shot groups to the .5 minute min. that They guarentee.
After talking to them I sent it back for them to go over and shoot.
They only guarantee a 3 shot .5 group which they did. I was hoping they would replace the barrel but they wouldn't because it shot 3 into .5. They were using factory nosler 160 gr accubonds. Nothing I could do at that point, it met their guarantee.
My problem is it is basically impossible to find the loaded ammo they used or the bullets.
I have a friend that does a lot of reloading and shooting and is very good at it. We have shot lots of different kinds and weights of bullets, including hammers, 169 and 155 hh. The thing is this rifle is inconsistent as heck. Sometimes the fliers are 4th and 5th shot and then be the complete opposite or anywhere in between.

The barrel is always cooled between shots and have used 3 different scopes and checked to make sure everything is tight.

On top of that now we are getting bolt clicks with adg brass that's been loaded several times. From the research I've done the bolt click issue is from the chamber being a little smaller and the Redding sizer die is able to resize enough to eliminate the bolt click problem.
Fierce and Christiansen chamber their Rifles smaller to gain accuracy from factory ammo which kinda leaves reloaders at a disadvantage.

I'm thinking of giving up an rebarreling with a proof research and starting over.
I need input on which way to go on this.
I would be ok with .75 or even 1moa but can't get the consistency to get it.

Kinda in the same position with a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5CM I bought earlier this year. The only factory load (out of three that I've tried) I've found to meet their 1 MOA 3-shot guarantee is Hornady 140gr match, not a hunting bullet. The real problem is that the rifle produces case head ejector swipes and heavy bolt lift when shooting suppressed (my primary intended use for the rifle). Called them and the service tech said their gunsmiths would find it within their guaranteed performance parameters, and they don't recommend suppressor use (although their current advertising seems to). At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to send it back, or just not waste the time and have it re-barreled. The tight chamber doesn't seem to help accuracy, IMHO.

I have plenty of components to load for the rifle, but, again, don't know if I want to waste my time or components with this barrel. OP, I hope you get yours sorted out. Would like to know which way you end up going with it.

Before giving up. Did you do seating depth testing with any of the bullets you tried? Also, how did you select the powder charges you used for the reloads? If you haven't done extensive load work, I wouldn't give up yet. If it can shoot factory Nosler ammo 1/2 MOA then it should shoot at least that well with good components after you do proper load development.

Last edited:
Yes did seating test with berger 168 and 180s. Also with the 169 and 155 hh.
Have also tried fierce's dirt nap loaded ammo in 160gr accubond and 180 vld.
Plus 162 gr hornady eldx and federal 155 gr terminal assent.
My reloading friend is pretty much hooked on using h 1000. He says he can get any 28 nos to shoot to it's best potential with h1000 and he has done a lot of load work in other 28s and other calibers. I have suggested we use a different powder but he said it won't help?? I noticed in the hammer loads hardly anyone is using h1000. A lot are using rl 26 and n570 but I do not have those. I do however have retumbo, imr8133, n568, us 869, ramshot magnum and lrt. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like h1000?
He does use a lab radar and does ladder tests in .5 grain increments to find nodes.

I'm of no help but I am in a similar situation. I have a new Carbon Rival that shoots lights out with factory 225 ELDM. My reloads have not been impressive. I found one load where I'm getting .55 3 shot groups with 212 ELDX but at 100 FPS slower than I hoped. I'm about to try the 199 HH and see if a different projectile does the trick. I'd say mine has been fairly frustrating to load for but I know it shoots. Worst case I'll settle for the 212's at 2840 but frustrating non the least. You are not alone.

What barrel length?
What components?
What does velocity ES numbers look like, not interested in SD?
.5 grain powder charges will more than not miss the node.
What is the target saying?
H1000 although good might be touch fast and maybe a different lot# to try?
A slower powder and brand might be the ticket, along with a different primer and case?
Magnum powder charges can be finnicky at times?
3 shot groups are a standard with a 28Nosler and larger cartridge using a hunting weight barrel.
What range is the testing, maybe the bullet hasn't "gone to sleep"?

Ducky, thanks for the link. I will buy a box to try.

Jasonco, barrel length is 26 plus break.
Adg brass, federal gold medal match primers, all bullets mentioned in my post above.
Have gotten es below 10 several times but just couldn't seem to get the harmonics right from there.
Load work up at 100, then stretch it out 400 then 700.

Ahh I see. Has an OCW test been performed in .4 grain increments and are the bullet seating depth's confirmed?
If it won't be stable & consistent at 100, it won't be at 400-700 either?
How many rounds downrange, 28Nosler is a HOTROD and before your testing is done. your barrel might be?!

I'm on my second barrel and an EC Tuner brake is in the near future, to get mine in tune, in short order!

1640728642314.png

You've covered a lot of ground on combinations of bullets, but my 7rm didn't care for H1000, which is a great powder. Just didn't work in one gun.
I would do a once over by taking the barreled action out and look at the stock, etc. Re-torque action screws, check scope and mounts, while saving money for more components.
Assuming nothing changes, try another powder on either side of the H1000 burn rate if you can find load data to support everything else you're shooting. I would think it needs to burn slower than H1000. Many rifles can shoot stupid accurate with high(er) ES, like my 7RM Krieger barrel on a Remington action does.
The only caveat is I had to neck turn all my brass to provide .005 diameter clearance on a tight neck chamber....you might check that too.....

Ahh I see. Has an OCW test been performed in .4 grain increments and are the bullet seating depth's confirmed?
If it won't be stable & consistent at 100, it won't be at 400-700 either?
How many rounds downrange, 28Nosler is a HOTROD and before your testing is done. your barrel might be?!

I'm on my second barrel and an EC Tuner brake is in the near future, to get mine in tune, in short order!

View attachment 324652
I'm still learning about this load work up stuff, what does ocw stand for?
That might be part of the problem, I might be jumping over nodes trying to save on components and not burn the barrel out.
I have about 350 to 400 rounds through it. With that said I have basically come to terms that I will toast this barrel to learn as much as I can so I don't make the same mistakes on the next one.

It's funny you mention the ec tuner as I just ordered a tuner brake yesterday. Will be learning more with that also I hope.

You've covered a lot of ground on combinations of bullets, but my 7rm didn't care for H1000, which is a great powder. Just didn't work in one gun.
I would do a once over by taking the barreled action out and look at the stock, etc. Re-torque action screws, check scope and mounts, while saving money for more components.
Assuming nothing changes, try another powder on either side of the H1000 burn rate if you can find load data to support everything else you're shooting. I would think it needs to burn slower than H1000. Many rifles can shoot stupid accurate with high(er) ES, like my 7RM Krieger barrel on a Remington action does.
The only caveat is I had to neck turn all my brass to provide .005 diameter clearance on a tight neck chamber....you might check that too.....
I would have to assume fierce checked it out when they had it, but who knows. I also had my local smith check it over. I was going to have him bed it but he said the way it was he said that bedding most likely wouldn't do any good. Right now neck turning is above my pay grade so I will try a different powder and go in .4 of a grain jumps.