When do you turn your necks?

Pizzaman1

Sinclair sells a nice mandrel unit. Buy one and buy mandrels for every caliber you want to turn. Holder is universal.
[/QUOT
Sinclair sells a nice mandrel unit. Buy one and buy mandrels for every caliber you want to turn. Holder is universal.
Thank You- interestingly- I just got off the phone with Sinclair. The tech. support guy told me I needed an expander mandrel and a turning mandrel. Seems to me if you get a turning mandrel.

338 dude

Formerly 'Bill Cauley Jr'
LRH Team Member
With spring back if you only get the turning mandrel you will end up with approximately 2 1/2 thousands tension for the neck with spring back with the expanding mandrel you’ll end up with about 1 1/2 thousands tension

blueprairiedog

LRH Team Member
Does the expander mandrel open the entire length of the neck up-or just the first little bit?
I use a k&m it has a stop screw but I expand the full length of the neck then I take off as little brass as I can with k&m cutting pilot and cutter never had a problem check it out on you tube

dougduey

The Sinclair mandrels are great. I use the Neck Turning mandrels to set a final neck tension of 0.002 just before I drop powder and place the bullet. This really helped lower my ES and SD. Also, I run all my new brass through the Neck Turning mandrel to set in internal diameter of the neck to a consistent thickness. I do this even if I'm not going to neck turn. Learned this process from some great members on this site

Rich Coyle

I have a couple issues here maybe you more experienced folks can help me with.
#1- I bought a new Hornady neck turning tool. When I insert my new case into the proper shell holder and tighten it down, and chuck it in my drill, and turn it on, it wobbles horribly! No way will I be able to turn it-it's that bad! #2- New cases will not fit over the mandrel supplied with the machine.-Is this why I need the expander mandrel you spoke of?- So, if I want to neck turn new brass, I would need to insert an expanding mandrel into my press? and then neck turn?
First I size new cases to make sure the necks are round. Then I go at the neck turning from the opposite end from what you presented. First I drill a hole close to the size of the case in a 2X2 piece of wood about the length of the jaws in the vice. Then I bandsaw with the grain from the end to the hole. This allows a shell to be inserted into the hole with the neck and shoulder protruding far enough for the K&N neck turner to get clear to the shoulder without hitting the 2X2. I then clamp the 2X2 into the vice. The spud in the K&N is long enough to get a hold with the hand drill. A drop of Tap Magic cutting fluid is applied to the neck mandrel. The mandrel self centers itself. I set the cutter so it barely touches the shoulder. I tried other oils. This one seems to be the best.

Using this system I can do three cases per minute.

Trending threads

Recent Posts