When do you restock your powder?

The Oregonian

Will have maybe 4 lbs left by the end of the year...i seem to be on about a 4lb per year pace, so that should last me a year...but with Christmas coming up I can get a jug from someone as a present.

Not looking to hoard, but don't want to get into a shortage situation again and be stuck without powder or paying through the nose. Only been reloading about 1.5 yrs don't have as much experience with the ups and downs of the supply situation as many of you.

At what point do you stock up again?

Will have maybe 4 lbs left by the end of the year...i seem to be on about a 4lb per year pace, so that should last me a year...but with Christmas coming up I can get a jug from someone as a present.

Not looking to hoard, but don't want to get into a shortage situation again and be stuck without powder or paying through the nose. Only been reloading about 1.5 yrs don't have as much experience with the ups and downs of the supply situation as many of you.

I have certain powders that I like for certain cartridges. I am always on the lookout for those particular powders. try never to get below 5 lbs. of each. Not a hoarder by any means.

With the presidential election coming up, the panic buying is going to start soon. It's time to start hoarding again. :D

I like to have enough for 2 years to mitigate the interruptions in the supply line. But all kidding aside, the last panic buy cleaned out the shelves for several years. :rolleyes:

I have very few powders which I use routinely for rifles; Varget, H1000 and H4350.
I have a couple of years supply of each.

But the powder is useless without bullets and primers, so I have the same inventory of Federal 210 and 215 primers. Bullets worry me less.

I was completely caught off guard by the last run on components, so I am probably over stocked.

With the presidential election coming up, the panic buying is going to start soon. It's time to start hoarding again. :D

I like to have enough for 2 years to mitigate the interruptions in the supply line. But all kidding aside, the last panic buy cleaned out the shelves for several years. :rolleyes:

I have been looking for FED. 210's for 3 months. If I get the chance to buy some I will be a primer hoarder at that point! Powder, I buy the type I use whenever I find it on the shelf. I used to only buy what I needed at the moment. My thought was always, "leave some for the other guy". Well, it appears that kind of thinking went by the way side long time ago. Might as well get on the train myself.

Buy the jug you want. If you get one as a gift and it really bothers you I'm sure you can sell it to a friend or someone in need.

By hoarding when you can, you eliminate getting stuck during a shortage.

I hoard until I get a good stash of components, then I start using them, and replace as I go. Burn 1 pound, go buy another one to replace it. Burn through 100 bullets, go pickup another box. But all-the-while, I have a nice supply on-hand incase the Dems/Libs decide to try to screw us all again.

By hoarding when you can, you eliminate getting stuck during a shortage.

I hoard until I get a good stash of components, then I start using them, and replace as I go. Burn 1 pound, go buy another one to replace it. Burn through 100 bullets, go pickup another box. But all-the-while, I have a nice supply on-hand incase the Dems/Libs decide to try to screw us all again.

That's me as well. Being retired I have to save my pennies to buy stuff....

I buy when ever I get below about 5 lbs for my bolt hunting rifles. I always try to buy in 8lb size.
For my SA rifles, well that is a different story! Pistols, I never have enough.

Depends like H1000 retumbo and my slower burning powders that when I use them I'm using 80+grains of powder at a time I generally stock like 20 lbs and my smaller powders h380ect I stock 8 or so. Primers I was lucky to have hoarded me 10000 of each kind of primer I use before the last big scare so I still have a few thousand left of each. I can tell you it's amazing the opportunities that arise in a shortage that help having back stock. I don't mean gouge someone by selling your components but I can say I managed to get new hunting ground with the right few lbs of powder and primers given away.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.