Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Hahaha…wait is it cuz in this crowd 6 centerfire rifles is a depressingly low number? 🤣. I'm only 31! I need more time (and money) to build up the inventory!

It is weird how the heart wants what the heart wants as they say. I wish mine just really wanted .308s and .223s, everything about them is easy, user friendly, inexpensive…but they just don't do anything for me haha.

Of my rifles the 270 and .300 win are the ones that have seen the most use in the real world of hunting.

But now the 257 wby and .358 Norma hold pretty much all of my attention and plans…ever since I was like 11 or so I've wanted a rifle in these calibers someday. The 257 is way less practical than the .25-06…and I've never had the slightest interest in the .25-06. In my mind it's the .25-ALMOST. Which I know is nonsense but it doesn't change that I feel that way (while in the same breath bashing the 7 mag for not being that much more than my .270 🤣). And the .358 Norma I know full well doesn't really do anything the more common and practical .338 win or .375 hh can't do and I plainly don't care. Neither of those two hold the slightest appeal to me: I wanted the .358 Norma, not everyone had one, and it's got this intangible cool factor. So when the right deal came along, I JUMPED ON

Your comment about trucks getting stuck reminds me of the old piece of wisdom:

"What's the difference between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive?"

I don't know, what?

"50 more feet of tow rope…"

You just get into even deeper trouble with one haha
I always save one level of traction for extraction: use the 4WD to get home if you're stuck in 2 WD, use the winch to get home if you're stuck in 4 WD, unload the 4 Wheeler if your winch won't do it... but don;t get stuck in 4WD if you have no winch...I did once when I was 18, won;t ever do that again!

You embrace it. I love when guys pay a fortune to come up and then sit in their tent for days on end because it's raining and cold.

There are two good approaches: Good modern rain gear and layers, and good old fashioned wool.

When you're happy in the suck, the suck stops sucking. Well worth the price of admission. My kids only whine and complain when it gets sunny and hot (high 50's F+), true story.
I backpacked through the Wa and Or Cascades using wool, an ensolite pad, a cheap synthetic bag, and an old USMC poncho. Snug as a bug in a rug. Wool is still best.

.358 Norma for the win!!!! I love mine. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the .338 win mag kicks fast and hard while the hh is a shove. I don't know…I've never shot the 338 haha
Even better, you can load a 250gr Speer HotCor to 2700+ fps in the 35 Whelen, fi you need it, with 66 gr of powder. Or load your 358 Norma to ~ the same using 76 gr of powder. Hard to beat either one. OOPS I forgot I don't like anything...

7-08 and 308. As a guide I have seen more animals get away with these two cartridges then any of the others combined.
A friend argued with me that a 308 was far more powerful than a 30-06 because it's bullet is 0.008" larger in diameter. I had to engrave a ballistic table on a microdot, put it on the point of a 20 penny spike, and hammer it into his forehead to change his mind. Some people just won't listen...

I'll add my experience...I borrowed a Colt SA .22 revolver from a friend. The gun had been in his family for years. When I wnt to load it, I couldn't get a LR to load into the cylinder. I looked at the bores, they all had a ring of accululated carbon about halfway down. He and his family had been shooting only 22 shorts in it. I think they used it to shoot flies off the wall in winter time. I got a few soft twigs and cleaned those bores out so a 22 LR would load. I had no use for the short before then, but now I despise it.
I was given a tiny Rohm SA/DA revolver that only chambers .22short. It is inaccurate and loud, but we love to plink away with that tiny thing. Is it practical, absolutely not, but is it fun for what it is, oh yeah lol

Ok after reading all posts I don't think I've seen anything mention on the cartridge that has supposedly killed more deer than any other and I just hate it. The 30-30. I just don't like the rimmed long tapered thin brass case that sends a .30 caliber just fast enough to go a hundred yards and drop like a rock.
useful only in a rock-throwing contest...

an absolute fudpucker of a cartridge...no one asked for it, no one clapped when it came, it'd have been dead for years if Jack O. hadn't propagandized it...even at that, pressed , he had to admit the supriority of the '06. I detest it....
939158F9-7B99-4361-982A-DD7F3D7F54FC.gif

Recent Posts