Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

I have only read 23 pages of this post so I don't know if this cartridge has been mentioned yet. The 303 British.
My hate stems from the fact that at the time most of my friends were able to use "modern" cartridges like the 30-06, or the 270 and they could put optics on their rifle.

Was that a real cartridge? 😉😂 memtb

Yes it is. It has a rim and everything. Somehow my dad used this gun to teach me ecomomics. I could save my money and get a modern firearm, or I could keep buying comics and get my brass butt plate shoulder tattoo touched up for free.

I should state that there is nothing wrong with the cartridge itself. It killed many enemy soldiers and helped defeat tyranny. I know, for a fact, that caliber has accounted for many moose in my neck of the woods. The rifle I had was very ugly, kicked like a mule and when you filled the 10rd magazine up it was surprisingly heavy to lug around the muskeg.

Yes it is. It has a rim and everything. Somehow my dad used this gun to teach me ecomomics. I could save my money and get a modern firearm, or I could keep buying comics and get my brass butt plate shoulder tattoo touched up for free.

I should state that there is nothing wrong with the cartridge itself. It killed many enemy soldiers and helped defeat tyranny. I know, for a fact, that caliber has accounted for many moose in my neck of the woods. The rifle I had was very ugly, kicked like a mule and when you filled the 10rd magazine up it was surprisingly heavy to lug around the muskeg.
Hi 👋 I still use a 303, #4mk1 that's been shortened & wears a bell & Carlson stock so it's like a Jungle Carbine, I wish the brass lasted longer

Oh come on... lol. For some of us our first loaned gun for hunting (in my case moose) was a lee Enfield in 303 with of course a 12-14 lb trigger (you could hang them by the trigger when sitting watching a field and never even have to take the safety off). Of course the second loaned rifle

My second loaned gun (for deer same year) was a marlin 30-30 which I didn't know was meant for shots under say 250 yards??? Kind of thing. Well I was taking 400+ yard shots at deer holding God knows where (nowhere near the proper holdover). The bullet was landing so far away from the deer that they weren't even scared. They just thought it was the goose cannons used to scare off geese in the next field. And this stupid kid kept shooting. Don't know how many rounds I went through that year, but I know that NO hairs were hurt on a single animal. Side story with that marlin... friend and I used to sit in the truck overlooking areas with a shell in (yeah I know) and then we would be playing with the hammers (he had a winchester 30-30). You would go to full cock and then let the hammer down. Well... the hammer slipped off my thumb. We both went white... looked down at the gun barrel which was pointing directly into the back of my transmission. Jacked the shell out to see a nice firing pin mark but it just wasn't enough to set it off. Last time any loaded guns in vehicles. What can I say 16 year old kids!

Also that same friends brother decided to not follow the path he was supposed and took a different path. He came out onto the field at about 500 yards from us with the gun dropped across his shoulders and both hands up and over the gun barrel and stock. (Somehow a relaxing walking position). He was about 90 lbs soaking wet to start. Well his brother and I were out of the truck and eyeing him up and down with our 30-30s. Mine a 2.5 power scope... his open sights. But we noticed that "the deer" was slipping and wandering lot. Something didn't seem right. So we didn't fire Thankfully. Boy did we give him schite!!!!!

Just thinking about how the first guy was sitting in a tree stand and by absolute fluke, a guy was shooting at a deer that was on top of a hill I guess 500+ yards away. He fired twice (missing the deer) and the bullets went whizzing into the branches close to my friend. He said he knows there was steps nailed into the tree but he's pretty sure he jumped from about 10 or 12 feet off the ground!!! Lol.

It wasa good first year of hunting with not an animal hurt lol.

Hi 👋 I still use a 303, #4mk1 that's been shortened & wears a bell & Carlson stock so it's like a Jungle Carbine, I wish the brass lasted longer
My dad was a reloader and he got a deal on some 303 British surplus ammo. Shot a bunch of it off and went to reload it. Snap went the de-priming pin. They were Berdan primers.:mad: I think that box of ammo is still in my brother's garage somewhere.

303 is the number 5 cartridge (or was) in the top 10 cartridges or was. Just so many 30-30s and 303s sitting in garages, trucks, etc etc
My first two centerfires….30-30 and .303 British. Rural Canada here. They're everywhere.

First deer was taken with a borrowed pump 30-06 WITH A SCOPE!!!! 🤣🤣🤣😂

I was 13. I loved the way it hurt me, made a fireball, and rung my ears.

Since then I've felt the neeeeeed for speeeeeeed!!!!

I have only read 23 pages of this post so I don't know if this cartridge has been mentioned yet. The 303 British.
My hate stems from the fact that at the time most of my friends were able to use "modern" cartridges like the 30-06, or the 270 and they could put optics on their rifle.
Hehehe…..the .303 and .30-30 I grew up on (and I'm not old) have been around long enough to make the .30-06 and .270 modern! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know exactly what you mean

I grew up in small town Manitoba next door to some of the best hunting and fishing you could get. If you didn't get drawn for moose, you bought a tag and went across the hhighwayand hunted. Before I moved to Saskatchewan I had shot more moose than deer. Every year I would go fill the freezer with a bull moose. Then I would struggle to get a deer. What can I say... I know how/have a knack of finding and calling in moose. Deer hunting somehow still eludes me a bit in comparison.

Oh come on... lol. For some of us our first loaned gun for hunting (in my case moose) was a lee Enfield in 303 with of course a 12-14 lb trigger (you could hang them by the trigger when sitting watching a field and never even have to take the safety off). Of course the second loaned rifle
This was my first rifle and it was handed down to me from my dad. I was just jealous of my friends with their much better looking but beat up hand me down Rem700's and Win70's. I hated the protruding mag look for so long because of this rifle but things have come full circle and I now really want that look.

My second loaned gun (for deer same year) was a marlin 30-30 which I didn't know was meant for shots under say 250 yards??? Kind of thing. Well I was taking 400+ yard shots at deer holding God knows where (nowhere near the proper holdover). The bullet was landing so far away from the deer that they weren't even scared. They just thought it was the goose cannons used to scare off geese in the next field. And this stupid kid kept shooting. Don't know how many rounds I went through that year, but I know that NO hairs were hurt on a single animal. Side story with that marlin... friend and I used to sit in the truck overlooking areas with a shell in (yeah I know) and then we would be playing with the hammers (he had a winchester 30-30). You would go to full cock and then let the hammer down. Well... the hammer slipped off my thumb. We both went white... looked down at the gun barrel which was pointing directly into the back of my transmission. Jacked the shell out to see a nice firing pin mark but it just wasn't enough to set it off. Last time any loaded guns in vehicles. What can I say 16 year old kids!
My best friend in HS got a Win94 30-30 with open sights. He loved that gun and could really shoot well with it. We saw a coyote at a fence line that was at least 250 yards and he up and smacked it in one shot off hand with that gun.

Let's be honest, everyone has one. Whether you had a bad experience or you just don't buy into all the hype, whats the cartridge that makes you roll your eyes as soon as you hear its name?
thutty thutty and my rolling eyes are envisioning a steel buttplate M94 that inflicts useless pain to the shoulder. Yes, despite that being the pretty undisputed all time deer hunting champ?