Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

I am so weary of new cartridges these days some only last a few years. Hornady is the worse about doing this they bring put the new fangled long shooter and its gone in three years and their brass stinks and no one else makes it .I wanted a 416 ruger just because it would fit in a old ruger 77 tang safety but it's gone poof because of Hornady. THE short mag 338 ruger Hornady agai. Made it go poof .I hope Norma who is becoming more of a major ammo company here makes alit more calibers .The 338 win mag is in danger of disappearing because of no ammo and ruger quit kaking 338 win mag rifles. IT use to be $18 a box for 338 win mag I didn't even reload it was so cheat in factory form now its $100 if you can find it .The wsm cartridges are disappearing quickly too .The wssm cartridges went poof so did rem short mags .I don't fall for new cartridges Amy lore .I got tricked long ago when the 357 rem max was the hottest pistol caliber then poof it was gone no ammo or brass thankfully starline made some .Don't get caught up in the pow pow of the say club gone tommorow .

So you are basically saying that a .35 bullet does the same damage as a .45 bullet of the same design? Interesting but given a choice of the 3 in a gun fight how many would choose the 9mm? Not me.
I think that I read that the FBI found that a 357 with a 125g HP at 1250 fps was super effective, if not the most effective, which is very slow Velocity in a 357 Mag. The 38 Special runs the 125's at 1000 fps. If my memory is correct, slowing the round down to 1250 in the 357 Mag, allowed the bullet to NOT blow through the body. More input is needed on this fps issue as I shot my 125's in 357 Mags at 1700+fps.

Also, with multiple perps to deal with, having more ammo in the magazine is now preferred.

With High quality Hollow Points, Caliber is almost a moot issue as the the guy that puts the first round on target will usually win the gun fight.

Last edited:
Maybe you should watch this if you think the 45ACP is better at killing humans.

After watching the video. It sounds to me like this guy was just really really lucky. Lucky the other guy was a bad shot. And lucky he himself had some medic training. And lucky he didn't go into shock. Lucky he was at a place, that he would have others to help when needed. Lucky he was also armed. The man should have bought a lottery ticket that day. The stars were aligned for this guy. The lesson to be learned here is be careful who you date. She may consider herself a EX. But the EX may not. And POI is usually the critical factor. Does caliber play a part ? Sometimes

6.5 CM. Not because it is over hyped by everyone, but had an actual bad experience. Bought 400 rounds of S&B 140 FMJ at a great price. Bought a PSA AR-10 and Savage 110 both in 6.5 CM. Bought some expensive brass and got a bunch of bullets. 1st box of the S&B locked both guns up. 2nd shot with the AR ripped the rim off of the 2/3 of the case. Finally decided that was enough for that day. Got home and tore down 100 pieces, documenting COAL and charge weight of each. Took an avg of the charge weight and dropped it from 39'ish to 36'ish. The AR would cycle it, but the bolt gun was still HEAVY bolt. Like beat the Sh!t of out of it to get it open. I gave up on both at that point. Bought a 7mm-08 barrel for the AR and parted out the Savage.

6.5 CM. Not because it is over hyped by everyone, but had an actual bad experience. Bought 400 rounds of S&B 140 FMJ at a great price. Bought a PSA AR-10 and Savage 110 both in 6.5 CM. Bought some expensive brass and got a bunch of bullets. 1st box of the S&B locked both guns up. 2nd shot with the AR ripped the rim off of the 2/3 of the case. Finally decided that was enough for that day. Got home and tore down 100 pieces, documenting COAL and charge weight of each. Took an avg of the charge weight and dropped it from 39'ish to 36'ish. The AR would cycle it, but the bolt gun was still HEAVY bolt. Like beat the Sh!t of out of it to get it open. I gave up on both at that point. Bought a 7mm-08 barrel for the AR and parted out the Savage.
Did you see if there was a recall on the ammo lot ? Manufacturers do make bad lots of ammo occasionally.

After watching the video. It sounds to me like this guy was just really really lucky. Lucky the other guy was a bad shot. And lucky he himself had some medic training. And lucky he didn't go into shock. Lucky he was at a place, that he would have others to help when needed. Lucky he was also armed. The man should have bought a lottery ticket that day. The stars were aligned for this guy. The lesson to be learned here is be careful who you date. She may consider herself a EX. But the EX may not. And POI is usually the critical factor. Does caliber play a part ? Sometimes
The point is all pistol rounds suck for killing. The 45ACP is no more effective than the 9mm at killing people. There's plenty of studies to be found if you are just willing to look.

The point is all pistol rounds suck for killing. The 45ACP is no more effective than the 9mm at killing people. There's plenty of studies to be found if you are just willing to look.
And as I said.
POI is usually the critical factor. Does caliber play a part ? Sometimes. Do you think he would be talking about taking 15 shots from a 45 acp if the first one hit him in the head or in the neck ? You picked a one off video to prove a point. And speak of studies, if I take my time to look. Sorry not going to waste my time.
I'm sure there are plenty of studies to prove what one would like to believe. But then it's also kind of hard to find a study that could possibly cover every possible scenario involved. And if pistols sucked at killing. Why do we see so many people dying to such things ? Caliber be damned. I'm not saying the 45acp is the best to carry. Or any type of pistol. But when in a city walk around with a rifle or shotgun & see what happens. lol A pistol is easier to conceal. Which is why most carry them. And caliber is also a personal choice. I like the 10 mm myself. I also have a few 45 acp along with other calibers.
And if caliber does not matter then why are we concerned about what pistol caliber to carry for bear protection ? With your logic there all useless. Even though bears have been taken with them. Do you think possibly the type of ammo used could also be a deciding factor, besides shot placement ? I'm not sure even what you're trying to imply here besides pistols are useless. Even though they have proven to do as required if used correctly.

I love 10mm but won't carry it for concealed carry. In this world of your responsible for everything the 10mm is powerful enough to go through a bad guy and hit someone else and then the lawsuits begin.

Edit: Now if I was hunting in bear country that would be a different story would carry it or something bigger.

Not long ago, I was reading a study from a Govm't agency that had been keeping records for 30 years on gun shot victims. Being a 40 and 45 man, I found the Study hard to believe. The Study concluded that more shots from a smaller caliber was more detrimental to the victim than a single shot from a larger caliber, even if the smaller caliber was 22 Rim Fire!

My cousin's husband was a Combat medic in Afganistan, in the field and later on, in hospital operating rooms. Now, he is an Emergency Room nurse, and he deals with a lot of gunshot victims. I asked him what carry weapon he prefers and ammo. He said, any 40 S&W loaded with 155g Winchester Silver Tips. He told me that someone shot in the chest with the 40 S&W with 155g Silver tip is usually dead. Bad guy Chests that had absorbed a SINGLE 155g Silver tip was/is a mangled mess, they died on the table. However, the 155g Silvertips are not as good when shooting through car doors, which is why the cops got away from using them.

Last edited:
I love 10mm but won't carry it for concealed carry. In this world of your responsible for everything the 10mm is powerful enough to go through a bad guy and hit someone else and then the lawsuits begin.

Edit: Now if I was hunting in bear country that would be a different story would carry it or something bigger.
Always consider your background. Over penetration is not a concern then; neither is the fact that 2/3 of the shots fired in a gun fight miss their target, even with trained shooters.

Always consider your background. Over penetration is not a concern then; neither is the fact that 2/3 of the shots fired in a gun fight miss their target, even with trained shooters.
I understand consider your background but if the shtf situation is in a crowd you're not gonna be able to shoot or you're gonna hit someone behind the bad guy.

I try to think of the situations first and choose the best tool for the job.