Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

I concur……standing, shooting offhand, especially when motivated by a large, potentially game animal reduces felt recoil!

As for the small framed guy…..I've had a theory about that for many years! I firmly believe that a small guy is less affected by recoil than a heavier, large framed shooter.

The theory explained! The lighter shooter will begin to move with recoil quicker and farther with the recoil, than will the heavier shooter moving more slowly thereby absorbing "more" recoil!

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it! 😉 memtb
👍🏼❤️🇺🇲

A "repurposed" .338 Federal……sorta like the 6.5 neede and the .260 Rem! 😉 memtb
Don't do a creedmoor. Just blow out a .22-250 case to minimal taper. Or a 6.5x47 lapua. Or….well there's about a dozen cartridges that are only academically different than the creedmoor case, there really is something of a sweet spot about that capacity and case geometry.

And how many years did it take...?
They had a good reputation for years then quality fell off drastically and it didn't take long at all after that. The rounds not being supported has a lot of factors, each being a little different. 280 was a mistake where they named it a 7mm-06 but folks had already wildcatted that round and Remington pushed the shoulder out so it wasn't the same as the round with the name already. Then they went thru 2 name changes for it and really dropped the marketing. The 6.8 they (PTG or Remington) screwed up the reamer print and had high pressure due to 90 degree leads, but never fixed it in a rush to get it to military. The spec2 chamber is closer5 to the original design (not saami spec) and works just fine but Remington wouldn't correct it. Those were not why it went bankrupt but were signs of mismanagement. The quality control is what got them in the end when they cut corners. Shotguns rusting the first day they were taken out of the box, fit and finish on rifles that was terrible and handguns that functioned 50% of the time will kill pretty much any company.

.308 and anything Creedmore. I have hated the .308 since I was a teenager. I've never owned one or shot one. A good shooting .30-06 will do everything better than a .308. I see no point in the cartridge.
My wife shoots a 7-08. I was skeptical when I bought it. But she's put 2 antelope and a cow elk on the ground with it. So it's working well for her.
Don't thonk I need to explain the Creedmore!

They had a good reputation for years then quality fell off drastically and it didn't take long at all after that. The rounds not being supported has a lot of factors, each being a little different. 280 was a mistake where they named it a 7mm-06 but folks had already wildcatted that round and Remington pushed the shoulder out so it wasn't the same as the round with the name already. Then they went thru 2 name changes for it and really dropped the marketing. The 6.8 they (PTG or Remington) screwed up the reamer print and had high pressure due to 90 degree leads, but never fixed it in a rush to get it to military. The spec2 chamber is closer5 to the original design (not saami spec) and works just fine but Remington wouldn't correct it. Those were not why it went bankrupt but were signs of mismanagement. The quality control is what got them in the end when they cut corners. Shotguns rusting the first day they were taken out of the box, fit and finish on rifles that was terrible and handguns that functioned 50% of the time will kill pretty much any company.
They were around a long time. Before I was born. They did well and made fine guns for many years. I won't blame them for mismanagement in their later years by youngsters want to be know it all's. The Remington's I have are well built working rifles and shotguns. All 10 years and older. At least they didn't sell out to have their rifles and shotguns made it Japan, Portugal and wherever like Winchester and Browning which I wouldn't own . Remington and Ruger kept them made here. That means a lot to me. So be it.

Last edited:
They were around a long time. Before I was born. They did well and made fine guns for many years. I won't blame them for mismanagement in their later years by youngsters want to be know it all's. The Remington's I have are well built working rifles and shotguns. All 10 years and older. At least they didn't sell out to have their rifles and shotguns made it Japan, Portugal and wherever like Winchester and Browning which I wouldn't own eather. Remington and Ruger kept them made here. That means a lot to me. So be it.
I can see your point…but being "made here" (and I'm Canadian but at this point I also kind of see American or Canadian made products as "domestic" and everything else as foreign haha) is only meaningful IF WHAT IS BEING MADE HERE IS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. My weatherby vanguard was made in Japan and dang it's put together better than anything I've seen Remington or marlin come out with in recent years.

I will always have a great respect for savage arms - ironically I know the finish and detail on them is worse than the Remingtons I've just berated, but they ain't claiming to be worth a lot of money and that's the difference - also they frequently outshoot them - though now that they're trying to be "fancy" I have my suspicions about them losing their way haha. Their rimfires are actually (at least mostly, don't know if entirely) made up in Ontario which is kinda neat to me.

God bless and long live the Ruger 10/22!

.308 and anything Creedmore. I have hated the .308 since I was a teenager. I've never owned one or shot one. A good shooting .30-06 will do everything better than a .308. I see no point in the cartridge.
My wife shoots a 7-08. I was skeptical when I bought it. But she's put 2 antelope and a cow elk on the ground with it. So it's working well for her.
Don't thonk I need to explain the Creedmore!
I guess I gotta acknowledge this too. I don't hate the .308 but I had one and sold it and don't miss it. Boring. Still recommend new hunters here do well to get a basic bolt gun in .308, .30-06, or 270. Doesn't matter which. They're all one-and-done cartridges that don't break the bank and the hardware store has ammo for them.

Recent Posts