What's the best value in a 700 clone action?

I second the suggestion for Kelbly. I've chambered my own barrels for just about every popular action out there and I've found nothing better than Kelbly's. The Atlas Tactical gives you a fully nitrided action and mechanical ejector for under $1k. If you want an integral rail and lug you'll then get into the $1400 range.

Their tolerances allow for pre-fits although I don't know anyone making them.

<edit> I've heard from folks I trust that Mack Bros. are fantastic but I've got no direct experience.

Rem is up and going on I believe. It's my understand that action can be purchase from them. Otherwise you can look in Pawn shops for used Rem 700 action. If a long action is required, then get a 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, Then have worked over.

Definitely Bighorn Origin. With the ability to get shouldered prefit barrels and changing the bolt face easily to .223, .308 or short magnum sizes it's a great value. You could have multiple rifle in one set up and never have to send the action to a smith. They are $875 now and come with a 20 MOA base and a pinned recoil lug. I would never think of getting a 700 with these available.

I would take a strong look at the new one from Allterra Arms:

Yes, I know it's new.
I spent a day at the range with one of their executives and came away impressed with their rifles and this new action.

I think I'd just check out pawn shops and guns stores until I found an action in say 721, 722, or 700 SA or LA and call it a day, a lot of Rem beaters you can still pick up cheap for their actions and they make great rebuilds. Good luck.

American Rifle Company (ARC) had their Nucleus Gen 2 actions on sale over the holidays for $749. This was for either the long or short action.

The best value in a Remington 700 action is to buy an inexpensive USED 700 action RIFLE and scavenge the action. With what you can save on a used action, you can have the old action blueprinted, if you choose, and build your rifle. Guns International has a stainless 300 RUM for sale for $649+ shipping and insurance. Think about it.

My motivation behind the question was that used 700 actions were going for a premium (like $500+), sure if you're patient, eventually you'll find one cheaper. Personally I wouldn't bother blueprinting a 700. What I was considering was selling some of my 700 actions, and replacing them with customs if the differential wasn't too much. At one point RUM actions were fetching $600.

The best value in a Remington 700 action is to buy an inexpensive USED 700 action RIFLE and scavenge the action. With what you can save on a used action, you can have the old action blueprinted, if you choose, and build your rifle. Guns International has a stainless 300 RUM for sale for $649+ shipping and insurance. Think about it.

Are they factory 700s? I would do an upgrade if so but if they had already been worked over then it would make the decision harder.