Whats better, a

The 270 is a better option for long range. Scopes might be a toss up. Get the one your eyes like best. Simmons scopes were pretty good scopes a while back. They used to be made in Japan. Japan can make pretty good glass. A few years back Simmons was bought by Bushnell. I think Simmons scopes may be China made now. That may have affected their quality some. Not sure though. You may want to keep a look in the classifieds on this site. Some times a used scope is a great value. If you can find a used Nikon at a good price. That might be a better option than the Tasco or Simmons. A used Vortex Diamondback or Viper might be good too.

I'd have to go with the savage, but make sure it's an Axis with the end of the stock duct taped to the barrel. I'm not sure about the scope, but whichever one I'd definitely tape it to a log chain and drag it home from Walmart behind the truck....:) :) ;)

This is the best thread of the day!

Going off your guidelines I would forget about long range, if by long range you mean 1000 yds. I would consider those choices to be a nice medium range option. So if i have to choose go with the 25-06 with the simmons. That being said if you are price concious look into HOWA rifles. They make a great rifle at a great price, great factory trigger also. Mount a vortex of your choice on it and you will be happy.
If you want to spend a little more get a browning x-bolt in 25-06. Mount a rail on it with vortex rings and a vortex viper. Remember you get what you pay for with glass so buy as much quality as you can afford.
The big question is are you going to hunt with it and carry it around, or are you going to use it on the bench. That would change things alot.

I am sorry to say if you think you are going to hit a deer at 1000 yds out in the field with a .270 or 25-06 with a simmons on it you are in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
I'd have to go with the savage, but make sure it's an Axis with the end of the stock duct taped to the barrel. I'm not sure about the scope, but whichever one I'd definitely tape it to a log chain and drag it home from Walmart behind the truck....:) :) ;)

This is the best thread of the day!

I see that you finally found my post in the the General Forum.

the good old .270 winchester. you might look at the case sometimes and say l wish it had a 30 cal in it ( 30-06 ) :cool: but yeah.. nothing wrong with the 270. with the right bullet, you can drop a moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.