What would cause this

buzzyb

I have a Christensen arms elr in 6.5 prc and I am getting these marks on my primers. I put a resized case and primer no powder or bullet in the chamber and the bolt is really stiff. Any ideas

Attachments

• AA780DCE-69CD-470A-B7B8-657523816860.jpeg
    AA780DCE-69CD-470A-B7B8-657523816860.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 1,349

Tiny Tim

Are the primers "standing proud? Is there a burr on the firing pin hole on the bolt face? Are you certain the shoulder is being pushed back? does an un-sized fire formed case allow the bolt to close easily/normally? Do you get that mark on a factory loaded cartridge?

buzzyb

Primers are flush, firing pin hole is clear, 002 on shoulder. Never shot factory loads

DUSTY NOGGIN

Primers are flush, firing pin hole is clear, 002 on shoulder. Never shot factory loads

you sure you posted the right picture ?? the pic looks like a fired brass .. with 3 different pressure signs ???

that high pressure extractor plunger mark or peirced primer or swipe .. too hot !!

that is when, upon removal the brass so stuck to chambered wall that the open cam action smears the back of brass .. what is your powder and charge

Last edited:

Bang4theBuck

Looks like a very warm load to me! Also looks like the primer is a not seated deep enough, but have to take the ops word for that. I would reduce the charge, and work on seating the primer with a little crush on it to get it below flush. Flush is defimately optimal, as far as I'm concerned.

Dosh

In post #1 you stated “resized case and primer no powder or bullet in the chamber with heavy bolt lift. In the pic the case and primer appear to have been fired. ????

BoomFlop

My guess is a very hot load with obvious signs of over pressure and case head growth that the die cannot resize.

Read this:

Good luck,
Steve

Saskquatch6

you sure you posted the right picture ?? the pic looks like a fired brass .. with 3 different pressure signs ???

that high pressure extractor plunger mark or peirced primer or swipe .. too hot !!

that is when, upon removal the brass so stuck to chambered wall that the open cam action smears the back of brass .. what is your powder and charge
Agree with Dusty Noggin on the 3 pressure signs - looks to me like this case was fired with a high pressure load and expect a 4th pressure sign would also be present - that being significant case head expansion. Its possible that even though you bumped the shoulder back .002 the case head is still too large and even though it chambers it would still cause the stiff bolt lift/extraction of the empty case. That primer thing is weird - looking forward to answers from others on that

Saskquatch6

My guess is a very hot load with obvious signs of over pressure and case head growth that the die cannot resize.

Read this:

Good luck,
Steve
Was writing my post when BoomFlop's came in (agree with what he said).

buzzyb

In post #1 you stated “resized case and primer no powder or bullet in the chamber with heavy bolt lift. In the pic the case and primer appear to have been fired. ????
It’s not fired just put in chamber closed bolt that’s what the primer looks like ejected

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.