What wind direction is best for big buck movement?

clark270

What wind direction is best for big buck movement? I always play the wind but a lot of times big bucks come from odd places where I don't expect. Most of the time bucks are going down wind drives me nuts. I always heard they move into and crosswind. So is the best wind a west wind? Or should I be more worried about hunting dark overcast days.

Deer have to move when they do, to get where they want to go. They of course use wind currents to smell for danger, but I doubt it's normally a primary reason they go the direction they are going.

I like dead calm, and better yet a light, predictable wind direction. With that one can plan hunt specifics. To some deer hunting is always done from a stand or blind. They may say 'you can't walk up on a deer in the woods'. Even a stand location for that hunt the wind comes into play. I never want my scent drifting into the best cover I hope to see deer come out of.

I like to hunt into the wind, or at least some version of a crosswind. It helps to have some elevation where able. Much of the time while 'still hunting' you are still, posted up, standing or sitting. That's the main time you see a deer come into view.

In my experience the best wind depends on how, when and where you are hunting. Where I hunt, early season deer tend to move predictably to their feeding locations. They tend to move into he wind when they can and move less in high wind from any direction. During the rut the movement is much less predictable and much less wind dependent. Late season they fall back into predictable patterns and concentrate on remaining feed, again moving more into the wind. I do agree with Sourdough that if a deer wants to be somewhere they will get there regardless of the wind.

In early season for me the wind just tells me what side of the trail I need to set up on to not get winded. I do use Nose Jammer and I do think it helps but nothing is 100%. When they rut is on I find bucks play the wind like a upland dog looking for birds. They run the down wind side of ridges smelling for a doe in heat. I have seen the same buck work the same ridge in different directions but always on the down wind side several times a day. I have also found that when they find a doe, all bets are off and they just go wherever she goes and often times she is just trying to get away from him so wind doesnt seem to come into play as much. Late season, like early season, get between their beds and the food and stay on the downwind side of the trail. I have really not seen deer run into the wind all that much except when spooked and even then they go in every direction. Cross wind seems to be more of what the buck movement is where I hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.