what Western state would you recommend other than Colorado?

It's getting to be a little rapey isn't it.

When the demand out strips the supply prices go up.

All these hunting forums have accelerated the demise of the outdoors.

A LITTLE???

I just applied for points this morning for me and my two sons and it cost me ~$310.00!

It's nothing but a governmental money grab...PERIOD!

Take this for what it cost....hunting the reservations in New Mexico for bull will get you an awesome animal, at about $12,000 up to about $_30,000 with trophy fees and all. If your looking for just a legal/medium sized bull, New Mexico might be the place. You will have company, unless you get an outfitter with horses or private land. The private ranches/Land owners get good money, plus unless you do good research, you could end up in a minimal elk area......all depends on the $$$$$ and or effort you can put In to it....if your willing to hunt cow elk for you or your son, $600.00 or $650.00 at Ruidoso Inn of the Mountain God's Apache reservation is AWESOME....

Last edited:
A LITTLE???

I just applied for points this morning for me and my two sons and it cost me ~$310.00!

It's nothing but a governmental money grab...PERIOD!

I would argue it's the outdoor tv industry. Hosts pay big bucks for guaranteed hunts. Outfitters charge exhorbitant fees. "Come out West, Pay us for the experience". They set unrealistic expectations and don't show the true difficulty of the hunts with few exceptions (Meat Eater and Randy Newberg).

I've never paid a guide or outfitter for a thing. I'd rather DIY and fail but have the experience and knowledge gained from failure or have the success be all mine. To me that is much more satisfying than the outcome of the hunt.

I would definitely take a look at MT, WY and ID. I'm pretty sure a non resident can get a decent tag without the BS fees and "qualifying" licenses. I live in CO and am planning on taking my kids to NE this year for deer.

I would definitely take a look at MT, WY and ID. I'm pretty sure a non resident can get a decent tag without the BS fees and "qualifying" licenses. I live in CO and am planning on taking my kids to NE this year for deer.
I think Montana has some of the highest Non-Resident Elk hunting fees in the nation.......BUT alot of good elk hunting.

I would argue it's the outdoor tv industry. Hosts pay big bucks for guaranteed hunts. Outfitters charge exhorbitant fees. "Come out West, Pay us for the experience". They set unrealistic expectations and don't show the true difficulty of the hunts with few exceptions (Meat Eater and Randy Newberg).

I've never paid a guide or outfitter for a thing. I'd rather DIY and fail but have the experience and knowledge gained from failure or have the success be all mine. To me that is much more satisfying than the outcome of the hunt.

There is no easy answer......are you willing and or physically able to climb mountains, up and down, camp with equipment you already own, spend whatever it takes to get there, license's, food, etc. AND then there's still a greater chance of not getting one than getting one.....unless you have the time, there will be very little time for scouting , and then, there's the chance you will get there and you will feel like you're in a Wal-Mart parking lot.....I live in New Mexico, have applied for elk,deer and Antelope for 20 years.....I'm older, and hunt on my own, so my effort is dependent on my physical ability.I've drawn twice for antelope, approx. 6 times for elk, maybe 8 for deer....NOT promoting Colorado, but you can get a tag over the counter, and other states might be comparable, don't know. But I will state that this sport is becoming " the sport of kings". And the land owners see this as a cash cow also, some private land tags go from $1000- $5000.....for elk and longhorns. Wish I had a better outlook on it, but it's a tough deal...rsbhunter

I think Montana has some of the highest Non-Resident Elk hunting fees in the nation.......BUT alot of good elk hunting.

Not really. Especially when you are talking about 100% draw for the non "trophy" areas. Elk, deer, small game, upland, and fishing license for just at 1k. Additional tags for wolf, bear, turkey, and elk or deer B (doe) tags OTC.

There is no easy answer......are you willing and or physically able to climb mountains, up and down, camp with equipment you already own, spend whatever it takes to get there, license's, food, etc. AND then there's still a greater chance of not getting one than getting one.....unless you have the time, there will be very little time for scouting , and then, there's the chance you will get there and you will feel like you're in a Wal-Mart parking lot.....I live in New Mexico, have applied for elk,deer and Antelope for 20 years.....I'm older, and hunt on my own, so my effort is dependent on my physical ability.I've drawn twice for antelope, approx. 6 times for elk, maybe 8 for deer....NOT promoting Colorado, but you can get a tag over the counter, and other states might be comparable, don't know. But I will state that this sport is becoming " the sport of kings". And the land owners see this as a cash cow also, some private land tags go from $1000- $5000.....for elk and longhorns. Wish I had a better outlook on it, but it's a tough deal...rsbhunter
Pronghorn

Yeah they are expensive but for another $160 you can get a elk/deer combo with a fishing license and a upland bird license. And you don't really need an outfitter there either they have the block management program there which helps sportsman get access to private land with out huge fees or 10+ preference points like here in CO.

for elk and maybe deer. My son and I where going to apply to Colorado again for deer and elk, now they want me to buy a stupid small game or turkey license just to apply for a dam point! 81.75 just so I can give them more money for a point. ***. So where can a guy take his kids and have a good quality hunt out west. Elk being the most important but some decent mulies would be fine also. I have never looked into other states. Do I need 257 points to hunt other states as well? I'm not looking for your super secret spot just an indication of what state I should start researching, some place I can hunt yearly or every other year. Thanks

All depends on what you are looking for. Colorado has OTC elk and you can hunt every year and still build points with an OTC tag (yes you have to buy a small game license and pay $9 for application fee). If you spend the time and effort to scout (e-scouting works), you can have a reasonable chance at success, particularly after a few years of gaining experience in an area. Idaho is another option where it is straight draw (no points) for better units, but some areas are no points and plenty of elk in those areas.

for elk and maybe deer. My son and I where going to apply to Colorado again for deer and elk, now they want me to buy a stupid small game or turkey license just to apply for a dam point! 81.75 just so I can give them more money for a point. ***. So where can a guy take his kids and have a good quality hunt out west. Elk being the most important but some decent mulies would be fine also. I have never looked into other states. Do I need 257 points to hunt other states as well? I'm not looking for your super secret spot just an indication of what state I should start researching, some place I can hunt yearly or every other year. Thanks
If $82 is keeping you from applying better stop now. Colorado is over the counter and as cheap as you're going to find for elk. I've hunted there 3 times and killed 2 elk without a guide. Colorado also has a $100.75 youth elk tag so it's pretty cheap to take a kid. Good luck and get those kids out in the woods.

Problem with Montana if you going on diy hunt is a lot of private property not sure if it's still the same but Montana used to have a combo elk deer draw that is responsible priced nonresident have to draw I think you have to put in by feb or March been to long sense I did idaho has otc tags for non residents most hunts bulls only but do have some units with B tags for cows for later hunts you can draw all units have a certain amount set aside for nonresidents but not as many elk as once was because of the wolves but still some good opportunities if you are going to buy otc you should do it as soon as they go on sale cuz there is only a certain amount available and they sale out pretty quick not sure if this helps
Good luck

Problem with Montana if you going on diy hunt is a lot of private property not sure if it's still the same but Montana used to have a combo elk deer draw that is responsible priced nonresident have to draw I think you have to put in by feb or March been to long sense I did idaho has otc tags for non residents most hunts bulls only but do have some units with B tags for cows for later hunts you can draw all units have a certain amount set aside for nonresidents but not as many elk as once was because of the wolves but still some good opportunities if you are going to buy otc you should do it as soon as they go on sale cuz there is only a certain amount available and they sale out pretty quick not sure if this helps
Good luck

Montana has had 15k plus leftovers for the past5 years which are then sold first come first serve OTC. The combo includes small game, upland, fishing etc.

I would try Az. It has a lot of tags for bull and cow. There are a lot of different hunt times in the state. Early hunts right after bow and late hunts in Nov. and Dec. There are big elk in Az. You can get guides here also we are modern here to. The terrain is not as difficult to hunt as or there states. Like I said the draw is early so if you're unsuccessful here you still have time to put in other states.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.