what Western state would you recommend other than Colorado?

Jpron

for elk and maybe deer. My son and I where going to apply to Colorado again for deer and elk, now they want me to buy a stupid small game or turkey license just to apply for a dam point! 81.75 just so I can give them more money for a point. ***. So where can a guy take his kids and have a good quality hunt out west. Elk being the most important but some decent mulies would be fine also. I have never looked into other states. Do I need 257 points to hunt other states as well? I'm not looking for your super secret spot just an indication of what state I should start researching, some place I can hunt yearly or every other year. Thanks

for elk and maybe deer. My son and I where going to apply to Colorado again for deer and elk, now they want me to buy a stupid small game or turkey license just to apply for a dam point! 81.75 just so I can give them more money for a point. ***. So where can a guy take his kids and have a good quality hunt out west. Elk being the most important but some decent mulies would be fine also. I have never looked into other states. Do I need 257 points to hunt other states as well? I'm not looking for your super secret spot just an indication of what state I should start researching, some place I can hunt yearly or every other year. Thanks

It's getting to be a little rapey isn't it.

When the demand out strips the supply prices go up.

All these hunting forums have accelerated the demise of the outdoors.

Gotta remember.....colorado is not a western state....try central state...
Can't believe how many people keep saying this......
I guess we could always do away witb the time zones and make it all one state.......
I guess Washington, Oregon and California could be EXTREME WESTERN STATES.......

It's not that I don't want to hunt there, extra fee for this and and extra fee for that. I have a 14 year old son, we both apply for deer and elk. Next year my daughter will be of age as well. I farm, last Friday a planting intentions report come out from the usda (government). It told us what we already know, yet the crop market crashed, I lost many thousands. Now I want to just try plan a hunt for me and my kid and the powers that regulate all the licensing says we need more money from you. I'm just getting sick and tired more money going out and less coming in every year. I'm not looking for trophy animals at all, just a place I can take my kids and have a quality hunt every couple years and it feels like the average joe is being told to bad, stay home, your not welcome if you don't make half a million a year. And yes, I understand the over the counter, done it many times, have had some good luck, but the last decade it has been steadily getting worse with the last trip a few years ago and not even seeing one animal. That's a great way to get kids into hunting. Sorry for the rant

I would look at N.M. and look at buying a tag from the Indians there.
It's their property and they control everything. Their success rate is very high
and so is the price but it's pay and go! No fooling with points!
If you are like a lot of us and live 800-1000 miles from the hunting area.
Scouting isn't a reality you need a guide! I'm at the point I'm about to just start emailing
places and say ...This is what I want..What will it cost?
www.jicarillahunt.com/hunting
http://riatahuntingranches.com/hunt.../elk-hunts/new-mexico-reservation-trophy-elk/

Last edited:
It's their property and they control everything. Their success rate is very high
Any idea of price?

If you are like a lot of us and live 800-1000 miles from the hunting area.
Scouting isn't a reality you need a guide! I'm at the point I'm about to just start emailing
places and say ...This is what I want..What will it cost?
www.jicarillahunt.com/hunting
http://riatahuntingranches.com/hunt.../elk-hunts/new-mexico-reservation-trophy-elk/
You can do New Mexico and do it cheaper than the Indian reservation tags. There are outfitters who have landowner tags too at less price and can also provide a hunt with high success ratio and really nice bulls. The one in my avatar is an example.

Western Game and Fish Depts. are trying to keep game management programs alive and support the public. Moneys are being diverted from them at every angle. Please support them in whatever they are trying to do. If a small game license keeps you from going on a elk hunt you probably shouldn't go in the first place. They have a tough job.

Good Luck in your search!

Another one to give a go... The Washington Coastal areas. Big Roosevelt elk, black tail deer, grouse, and salmon fishing too! Tags are OTC. Lots of public and timber company lands. Don't expect long shots... great hunts though!

As far as hunt pressure, it's really not too bad. Surprising how few hunt in Washington state. The rain probably has a lot to do with it.

If this interests you give me a PM and I will point you to some hotspots I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.