what video camera to get

87predator

Hello,
I'm looking at starting to film some of our hunting trips. I know for professional quality what I need to get, but just looking to start out. We want to make youtube videos and stuff, with focus on our predator hunting. Hopefully send some to some companies for fieldstaff applications. We are looking in the $600 range. My question is, if I can get a cannon gl2 package for that, is that the way to go, or are the tapes a dying technology. All of your suggestions appreciated.

Spoke with one of the production guys with Long Range Pursuit. Saw one segment shot with a Sony Handi-cam. 20x optical zoom and uses SD cards. The new marketing guy videoed his kid shooting a mule deer just under 700 yds and the video was sharp and the audio quality was excellent. Can't remember the model but the cost was around the $600 mark. He had a shotgun mic mounted on top. Just give them a call, they are happy to help.

Thank you. I'll have to start making phone calls to see what people suggest. I know for professional quality I'm going to have to spend some money, but we are wanting to test the waters before we dive in, so that is why I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot. I have found a gl2 camera with some accessories for a great price, but not sure if that is the way to go. My concern was caused by a friend who is way more computer and tech savy than me, express the concern about the older MiniDV tape use. I do see that there are still several of them available around. Our long term goal would be to make some footage we could produce, or sell, but for now just wanting to get started and see if we can peak some interests in it.

I have been using a new camera this year, and I was in the same budget as you. I tried to ballance image quality with an acceptable zoom. The best balance I found was the Sony XR260V. It seems as soon as you jump up in lens quality and manual features you end up stuck with a 20x optical zoom. Which for filming critters being dumped at long range just doesn't work all that well. If you are interested, I cam pm you some links to the videos I have used this camera on.

The XR260 has a on board hard drive, which is nice, but when really cold it does not want to work. It also has a SD slot. If the hard drive option is not what you want they make a sister model that only uses SD cards.

Hope this helps

Joel

Edit: I just noticed that my XR260V has been discontinued. The current model with similar features would be the Sony HDR-CX430V.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.