What it takes to get to 800 yards

Never had any issues shooting copper clad steel, not going to harm the barrel any. I worry more about powder erosion, the steel jackets are softer than barrel steel, and most that I have managed to recover, you couldn't tell they were steel.

Last edited:
Never had any issues shooting copper clad steel, not going to harm the barrel any. I worry more about powder erosion, the steel jackets are softer than barrel swteel, and most that I have managed to recover, you couldn't tell they were steel.
True on all counts. Also the copper become essentially a buffer and lubricant. If one is worried treat them with moly or other bullet lube before shooting.

AKBman & WildRose

While I highly value your opinions, and I truly do, I ain't runnin' no steel bullets down my bore or puttin' no sweet pickles on my peanut butter sandwich!

Can't wrap my head around that - no way!

But you do as you please.

KB

Absolutely KB! No offense intended, just letting folks know what my experiences have been. Way back, I had hear that the steel jacketed ammo i was shooting from my '06 would wear out the barrel, this stuff was WWII surplus I believe, but after 500 rounds, I never noticed a decrease in accuracy, nor any damage to the bore. The old stuff wasn't even copper clad, the Hornady has a thick copper clad, so I have even less worry, and at $19/50, I couldn't pass. We all have to shoot what we are comfortable with, and I will find no fault with your choice.

I bought a small/$10 bottle from this older couple at the Del Mar gun show this past weekend - after they twirled the cylinder in their old Colt? revolver. The website is: What is Microlon? for John F. Staudt .

They said you first clean the barrel - and my Mossberg is pretty clean - only about 10 shots thru it - and on sale - for about $300 - I also just bought a little 22" .308 Savage Axis XP - with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope - good for sighting in - to beat the more detailed long gun registering that starts after the first of the year. I also bought a 12 gauge Remington pump 870 - for about $260 - on sale plus a $30 rebate. I had $600 in the budget for a semi-auto Beretta A300 Outlander - but couldn't resist getting two guns for that price. :)

Anywho - you then apply the Microlon to the clean barrel/swab it lightly - and fire a round - and repeat for about 10 to 12 rounds (20 rounds for Stainless Steel) - and they say it leaves a very thin coat in the barrel which help keeps it from getting dirty - and also - makes it smoother for the bullet to travel down the barrel/faster and you don't have to oil the barrel again? Guess you don't have to apply Microlon again - and the directions also say you can apply it to the moving parts (bolt included and pump guides on a shotgun) - and while wet - work the action until it's absorbed and then dry with a hair dryer.

The box says it won the coveted "Medaille de Vermeil" at the Salon International Des Inventions de Geneve - in Geneva, Switzerland. And the FAA accepted the their CL-100 Aircraft Formulation in May of '79.

Haven't had the huevos to use it yet and will keep on checking it out.

Microlon is a nano particle lubricity agent suspended in a liquid carrier. Don't remember if it's Teflon or Moly. They all work by embedding a solid lubricant into the steel pores.

Only drawbacks are inconsistent application and they are scrubbed out after time. they work very well on actions and such because there's no absolute consistency required. But barrels have to be the same shot after shot. Moly-coated bullets work because another Moly bullet is headed down the barrel to replace what just rubbed off. Even Moly-coated bullets fail to work in some bores. Some people swear by them. See the threads on Melonite barrel coatings. That works for sure. Good buys on the guns.

Have you thought of moving from the People's Republic of California? Not a lot of 800 yard shots there anymore....

KB

AKBman & WildRose

While I highly value your opinions, and I truly do, I ain't runnin' no steel bullets down my bore or puttin' no sweet pickles on my peanut butter sandwich!

Can't wrap my head around that - no way!

But you do as you please.

KB
None tke, and I'm not either. However if I had to, I would not worry about those with the heavy copper plating over the steel. The lans and grooves will never get past that copper. Your only problem with them would be lower BC and expansion issues along with copper fouling.

I have shot a lot of steel core ammo in pistols and while in the service and never had any of it do any harm and they were all copper and/or lead over steel.

KB - thanks for the update re Microlon. I might just keep the little bottle as a momento? :)

LOL re People's Republic of California. San Diego used to be more conservative - still is in the North County and certain inland areas- but - up by where I grew up - North Northern California - it's completely different. Thought about trying to draw an Antelope tag around Redding (maybe for north of there) - aas in Redding is where there is a guy with a liquor store who has about 6 very nice Antelope mounts and he told me that if you can find out which is the "hot" area (where the critters have been hanging out) - and draw a tag for it - you can have some pretty good luck - and that's where a long shot might be needed.

There are also some Elk up there - around Mt. Shasta - but I would probably opt to try and draw an Elk tag around Central or NE Oregon - where some big Ricky Mountain Elk hang out - or even my old home town of Klamath Falls, (20 miles from the Cal Border). An old AF Academy buddy of mine said he would fly us around in his plane trying to spot where the Elk herds around Klamath are hanging out.

I also have a good buddy who is a member of the Klamath Indian tribe - and he could take me hunting on the reservaton. These days - he mostly just goose hunts (Canadian Honkers being his favorite - he leaves about 100 decoys out in his hunting field - except for when a big snowstorm is blowing in and he hustles out with his trailer to pick them up) - but there was a time when he could really find out where the big Mulies were hanging out. There are a few Whitetails around too - but those guys - are pretty wary, much like the few remaining Trophy size Mulies are.

Over the hill - in/around Ashland - they have some smaller deer - the Blacktail - and one of my buddies shot a trophy rack for that size deer. Cute little guys.

We're having out 50th hs class reunion next year in Klamath - so may put some of these long delayed possibles into action - or firm them up some :)

TomAS

I lived in Novato in1970 - 1973. Moved to Idaho to start a family.
Please use the Microlon. Bolt and bolt raceway are greatly slicked up by applying it. If you have any detachable magazines they need it inside and out. Maybe not the trigger group. But if it slides Microlon works.

Works exceptionally well on machine gun mechanisms, bolts etc. .............. Sorry! I forgot! You live in California not Idaho. The other reason I moved to the freedom of Idaho- unlimited Title II
ownership. My favorite was a WII Thompson M1A. Bought for $1K sold for $18K.

KB

Love Idaho. The buddy of mine I hunted ducks and geese with the most growing up- his son moved there and loves to send his dad pics of catching Steelhead (somewhere in Central Idaho? and/or on the Snake?) - even though the dad now lives/backs up to the Rogue River - over in Eagle Point, Ore.

Also have friends in Sun Valley and love to visit/ski there. :)

Driving from McCall over to Sun Valley- along the middle? fork of the Salmon River - is about as pretty as it gets.

And good work on the Thompson. Always wanted an "Al Capone" gun. :)

Fired a .30 cal Browning? MG - - full on down in Ft. Benning once - and it's a lot of fun.

I received a box of the blemished bullets, unlike others I have purchased, these are really blemished, thankfully I bought them for plinkers. I miss E Oregon, still what I consider home, born in LaGrande, call Elgin my hometown. I used to have family in Grangeville Idaho, that is where I want to move to, just have to find a job.

This is about the worst of the lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 12
AK - my two sisters were born in LaGrande and then ole Doc Schiff took is practice to K. Falls. Beautiful up in NE Oregon - the Blue Mountains, righto?

We had a priest from John Day - who went back every year and shot an elk. Father Murphy - what a character - drove his big old Olds about 80 anytime he got out on the open road. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.