Gadget needed, video camera type

Sure come on down... We have all kinds of games to test skills of guys who want to learn, or guys who think they are bad and want to see how bad they really are.

Be sure to practice your 735 yd. shots on a moving target at a 35 degree inclination running 30 MPH at 45 degrees to the sight line.
grin.gif

We like the AR-10 in 300 WSM, or in 6.5 WSM. We shoot coyotes year round just about, crows too. We have several deer seasons, the first of which begins around the 15 of November. Some pretty big white tail. Shot a small racked year and a half old that weighed 225 a couple of years ago. The does average 165, seen a few over 200. the real fun begins during the doe season when you get 5 guys with AR-10's 700 yards from a bean field, each guy has two bonus tags, and you sync fire on a crowd of does! Have you ever seen three deer, all piled on top of the next?

"I shot the big one on the bottom!"

"No, I did!"

"Your too slow to shoot anything on the bottom!"

The fun never ends.

The barrel is usually the longest lead time item. I usually schedule a time for each system when all the parts are in. Two to five weeks once I have all the parts is pretty normal. Right now, I am scheduled full through the middle of July, but I doubt you could get a barrel by then any how. I may have a barrel in stock in 6.5, but I am not sure of the twist, or if it is set up for an AR-10 or an SR-25. I will check tomorrow if you are in a hurry.

338/378,

Hey Guys, Maybe a sighter round would help.
rolleyes.gif

Boyd, 338/378... you boys stick to the sighter method, this here's much too complicated for you anyway.
grin.gif

Brent,
You should not comment on things you know nothing about, meaning ME. OK Partner!

I took you wrong and jumped to conclusions I shouldn't have. You're right, I don't know you, and therefore had no basis for which to say what I did... my sincerest appology.

338/378,

You'd love the AR10, especially if it was in 6.5WSM! My dad has an AR10T in 308win
and it's bitchin!!! He has a 6.5WSM and it's THEEE cartridge I'd want in one too..... Myself, I can't even afford to think about one right now though.

Dave,

The 5.5-22 NF R2 tick's are calibrated 2 moa and 5 moa for ranging/measuring when it's set at "22x."

I think the tick mark you're refering to is the "dot" at 11x on the power ring?

If set at 11x, that would just move the tick's calibration to that of 4 moa and 10 moa... 5.5x, half that again, would then be 8 moa and 20 moa too.

I think the 3.5-15x NF R2 may be calibrated at 10x, all the others are at 22x though.

Still looking over your angle scenario, I'm thinkin you may be 1.75 moa off though... Got to go read it again some more, maybe I'm all wet.
grin.gif

S1,

You make a very good point for the LR hunter using a ranging reticle.
smile.gif
I figured that angle to be small enough at that distance it wouldn't make big difference is all. If the animal (the shingle in this case) was reduced in width by 10% because of the angle, it would indicate maybe 58 yards or so instead of 52 yards. A big issue at LR no less.
smile.gif

Dave when you said;
Tick for NXS is at 10 power so 10 * .59 distance delta ratio = 5.9 power.

I lost you on the part where you said "the tick for the NXS is at 10 power."

In the pic, it was on 7x? Where did you get the 10x?

Boyd, 338/378... you boys stick to the sighter method, this here's much too complicated for you anyway.
grin.gif

I'll be rollin my eyes too, it'll just be when you all are shootin sighters at things that are either closer or farther away than your target, often a very different distance than they appear
grin.gif
By the way, without a laser RF you guys are handycapped by depth perception, the R2 isn't.

How many sighters do you take before you move to your "record target" in the 1000 yard game? You all never take more than one or two, RIGHT?
rolleyes.gif

Sorry to take your thread off track Dave.
smile.gif

I took some pics through my R2 a week or so ago but must have deleated them from the camera, yours was a little better than mine were. Do you have an adapter Dave, or was it just freehand through the lense like mine was?

The induced 3.75 MOA of correction for the 100 yard zero now offsets the round from the intended POI by 3.75 MOA.

Dave, doesn't it offset the round from the "intended POI" (POA) by only 2.0 MOA, this is only at 100 yards though?

1.75 MOA is still needed for the POI and POA to intersect at 100 yards... true? Anything further (2 MOA more) would be the offset amount... true?

Change target to 200 yards and add 2 MOA of elevation correction and then shooting straight down... the original 3.75 MOA is still present and we have an additional 2 MOA entered by the shooter to attempt to set the scope for 200 yards. The total POA to POI error now is 5.75 MOA and the round will strike 11.5 inches from the intended POI.

I think you're correct in the 200 yards situation. The initial 1.75 MOA needs to be considered here, and thus added to the 2 MOA additional come up for the new 200 yard zero... a total of 5.75 MOA, or 11.5" high from POA.

I may still be somewhat confused here... What would POI be in relation to POA at 125 yards? Interesting take on close range angled shots, never thought about it really. Thanks for the brain teaser Dave.
grin.gif

Brent

Dave, doesn't it offset the round from the "intended POI" (POA) by only 2.0 MOA, this is only at 100 yards though?

1.75 MOA is still needed for the POI and POA to intersect at 100 yards... true? Anything further (2 MOA more) would be the offset amount... true?

I think you're correct in the 200 yards situation. The initial 1.75 MOA needs to be considered here, and thus added to the 2 MOA additional come up for the new 200 yard zero... a total of 5.75 MOA, or 11.5" high from POA.

I may still be somewhat confused here... What would POI be in relation to POA at 125 yards? Interesting take on close range angled shots, never thought about it really. Thanks for the brain teaser Dave.

As I understand it, there are two (2) major consideration when dealing with the rifles' "zero" setting (for me, 100 yards), the distance between center of the bore and the center of the sighting device (assume the sighting device is aligned above the bore) and the projectile's drop due to time of flight and gravitational forces. I believe my rifles need about 2 MOA of correction for "gravity" and 1.75 MOA for sight height. If you want to know the amount of correction required for your rifle to be POA to POI with a 100 yards zero try this (be careful or you'll put your eye out!). Cant the rifle 90 degrees to the side and shoot at a 100 yard target (use your 100 yard zero setting). Your POI should be displaced in two planes, lower and (left or right depending on the direction you canted). As I understand it, your rounds should be displaced equal amounts (this is the way it works for me) low and (right or left) and that amount os the amount required to "zero" the rifle in the normal shooting position. My 223 Rem displaces 3.5 inches low and 3.5 inches left (I'm right handed, I cant left), at 100 yards these inches nearly equate to MOA (1 vs 1.047). (It works out that when shooting from this position (skinny window scenario) I hold 1 Mil up (old left) and 1 Mil right (old high). As long as tou're out there, turn the rifle completely over (upside down) and shoot 100 yards. Your POI to POA will probably be about 7 inches low (2 Mil) if you're shooting a 223 or 308 class rifle.

If this all works out, you'll be ready to amaze you friends with your shooting "tricks". Let them try to shoot a target at 200 yards with the rifle upside down, there'll be a lot of dirt (snow up there maybe) flying. About 2.5 to 3 Mils "elevation," correction should get you pretty close.

Thanks for the explanation Dave.
smile.gif
Makes sense that when the rifle is canted 90 degrees that the bullets right or left POI deviation should be by the same amount as the gravitation force pulling it low, assuming it was zeroed windage wise before starting.

Shooting a 300 upside down would be just too much fun.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.