What it takes to get to 800 yards

Yes, spent many a day in the Blue Mts as a kid. The conservative side of the state, too bad the Western side is so loopy liberal. I was born in the old St Joseph Hospital, it's been gone for a long time, I was born in view of the Oregon Trail.

You can have the best equipment, best rangefinder, best ballistics software, best ammo and if your comfort zone to hit a 12inch target is at 600 yards (8 rounds hit from 10 rounds shots) THAT IS YOUR MAX DISTANCE ON DEER SIZE GAME.
Shooting at 100 yards at the game involves more then just upgrade your rifle and your rangefinder.
You have to go out with your equipment ant take FIRST ROUND COLD BORE SHOT at 1000 yards, 800, 600 etc.
record all your shots and try to improve by shooting more (cold bore shots at 12in target)
try of bipod, up hill down hill, of backpack (sometimes you have to much snow or grass and is no way to be prone) and you have to use shooting sticks or improvised.

ALL YOUR SHOTING HAVE TO BE 1ST ROUND (Cold Bore Shoot)

keep in mind when you go hunting and your dream game shows up your 12inch group is opening up due to (buck fever, rushing the shot, improper shooting position, etc)

In Hunting you don;t have sight in shots or fowling shots.

Practice farther then 1000 yards (1200 -1400 yards) and if you are confident at 1400 yards when the time comes to take the shoot at 1000 yrds will be WAY EASY.

I do a lot of cold bore shooting, groups are fine for boosting confidence in a load, but confidence in your equipment comes from making that first shot that counts. I will not be shooting at 1400 yards, I want to get out to 800, so that I am confident at 600. I keep 1 gallon milk jugs, and I set them up at random distances, since they are only good for one shot, they are perfect for cold bore practice. I know the cartridge is capable, I need to be. Thank you for the good advice. I generally wear a pack, as I do like to shoot prone, but I bring shooting sticks just in case.

Amen to it's the first shot that counts. And that is from a cold bore. I crack up when I go to some of the sporting goods stores now - and the gun shows - and it's all about "Tactical". Sure - if you are going to pray and spray something fairly close - that's great- but get beyond a short distance - and you better be zeroed in.

And all the other factors mentioned come into play when hunting - and not comfortably "resting" at a range.

I got to get out shooting again. Been fishing a lot the past few years - even caught a nice Marlin (125 lbs) down in Cabo - but now have to join up again at one of the shooting clubs and start practicing. The longest - easy to join club/range - I found years ago was about 300 yards down at the South Bay Rod and Gun Club (30 miles or so) - but there is/was a 1,000 facility/yard club up north - Escondido - also about 30 plus miles - so have to check that out again.

Again, really appreciate the advice.

And as for my buddy here in SD selling his beloved 7 Mag - well I think it was a couple of things. He had hurt his shouder at work - when he was involved in Security at the Airport and helped one of the baggage handlers hoist a heavy suitcase and wrenched his shoulder - and I think he was also out of work for a spell and needed some coin - so he sold the 7 Mag - a sweet shooting Ruger that his friend - a former sniper for hire type - had really buffed up for him. He still has his 1/2" shooting .308 - and a couple of his pistols - and at one time - could pretty much shoot with anyone with a .45. whatnot - where he was a better shot than with a rifle - but he ain't bad at all with a rifle. That's back in the days when he was on a police force and had access to mucho handgun ammo/practice. His backup/ankle pistol was a .44 special - so he was rarely "outgunned". :)

Tom,

North County Shootist Association at the Pala Indian Reservation. $ 15 for members and 25 for non. Membership is $65 per year. Max distance is 864 yards.

Nice facility. You have to watch their website before you go. Lots of matches which close the rec shooting. Was out there Monday and it was crowded bc of the holiday but we were able to squeeze in. I am interested in Ocotillo as I work up to longer distances.

Good trap shooting at Escondidio Fish and Game Assoc. Range. Open to the Public Wed. And sat. Nights.

Commute - thanks a ton. I will definitely check those clubs out. Really appreciate the info and hope to see you out there one of these times - after the first of the year.

I am @: [email protected]

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody else. It's two days until I pick up the Remington 870 pump and the Savage Axis XP combo - and start to work lightening the Axis trigger.

Here are a cople U- tubes about how relatively easy it is - and my buddy/manager at Biig 5 also has a friend who is a gunsmith (when not patrolling the hiways) - who will double check it. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3GvLTi2CCA]Savage Axis Trigger Job - DIY - YouTube[/ame] and this second method [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnjc3rBeGPM]Savage Axis XP Trigger Job - YouTube[/ame]
used a small screw type piece to hold the new/lighter spring in place. Think I like that better than cutting a couple coils off the original spring as if you have to send the rifle back for maintenance/new barrel/whatever - you could replace the original spring and not invalidate the warranty.

If I can't do it right on the "cheap" - will drop an Accu-Trigger in it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts