What to do with the 10mm......

Great read. And...he was using the wrong ammo and...he didn't have a fully loaded magazine. Excerpt from article:
As an afterthought, he took the GLOCK 20 10mm pistol from his vehicle and shoved it in his waistband behind his cowboy belt. It was loaded with 175 grain Hornady Critical Duty FlexLock loads. The magazine only had 10-12 rounds in it. A few months earlier, he had heard the theory of "spring set" and decided not to keep the magazine fully loaded.
Yet...he still prevailed! 10mm may not be what you go hunting bears with (or maybe it is?) but it can sure make a good defensive tool against them. Good guy with 10mm wins...again!

Lot to learn here...including the frailty of the semi-auto for bear defense. **** lucky he didn't get eaten in front of his family due to that pistol and his method of carry.

Last edited:
Ugh. I am sad to read this from you. ^^^
Did you read the article AND the comments? I sense not. The person that was attacked (Mr. Bridger) responded to his critics in the comments, clarifying how and why everything happened the way it did. He is alive because he kept his head during the chaos, had a powerful gun that he had loaded with 12 rounds, and he placed his final shot properly (for the ammo he had onboard) to finally end the battle.

His situation would be akin to you jumping in the car to get a gallon of milk at the local convenience store at 3pm. You don't expect trouble. And just as you are about to head into the store, you think, "Maybe I should grab a gun" and the only thing you have in the glove box is your LWS .32 ACP Seecamp pistol loaded with FMJs. So that's what ends up in your pocket. And the store gets robbed and the bad guys are shuttling everyone to the back and you know that means they are going to kill people. Well, that .32 ACP with FMJs isn't the best gun for the situation but it is A gun and it can save your life. Same story here.

Would he have lived if he used a revolver? We will never know. Maybe the extra power of a .44 Mag of .454 Casull would have made the difference? Maybe not. And maybe he fires the 6th shot and the bear is still going and he dies. We don't know.

The point is, when his gun jammed, he was able to do a 'tap, rack, bang' drill and save his life DUE TO THE AMMO CAPACITY. And he didn't even start with a full mag AND he ejected a live round to clear the gun.

I own revolvers. They jam, too. They are not impervious, perfect machines. They are a tool. When tools get bear blood and fur on them, weird things can happen. A clump of bloody bear fur could keep the cylinder from rotating. Oops. Tap, rack, bang? Nope.

You get to chose what YOU feel most comfortable with, but you are disingenuous to imply the semi-auto nearly cost him his life. The round count alone seemed to play a major factor in saving his life. Read the comments of the article. The gentleman involved replied stating he would continue to use the Glock 20 but with different ammo. Doesn't seem like he felt his gun failed him or let him down.

He does know the 175 grain Flex Lock bullets were not the right choice for bear. But the gun was in his car as a defensive tool for use against human beings. He just happened to grab it 'just in case' when he went to get his dogs away from the bear. He had no real belief he would have to use the gun to save his life. He guides people bear hunting for a living. His family did, too, so a total of 40 years of experience in his family told him this was just going to be another, routine, get the dogs and bear separated situation. Only THIS BEAR had other ideas.

I'm so glad the guy is alive to tell his story. I'm glad he had a Glock 20 with 12 rounds on board, so he had enough ammo to end the attack. And if he had done the same with a .357 Mag on the sixth round, I'd still be happy for him and wouldn't care if he still thought that was the best choice. It's his life. His experience. And when it was all done...he said he would stick with the Glock 20 (with better ammo.) I respect his choice. Saved his life once, even using a less than full magazine with 'poor' bear ammo.

And you, Sea2Summit, get to chose what YOU think is best. But don't insult the guy or his choice of gun. It saved his life. And he'd use it again. That speaks volumes right there.

Ugh. I am sad to read this from you. ^^^
Did you read the article AND the comments? I sense not. The person that was attacked (Mr. Bridger) responded to his critics in the comments, clarifying how and why everything happened the way it did. He is alive because he kept his head during the chaos, had a powerful gun that he had loaded with 12 rounds, and he placed his final shot properly (for the ammo he had onboard) to finally end the battle.

His situation would be akin to you jumping in the car to get a gallon of milk at the local convenience store at 3pm. You don't expect trouble. And just as you are about to head into the store, you think, "Maybe I should grab a gun" and the only thing you have in the glove box is your LWS .32 ACP Seecamp pistol loaded with FMJs. So that's what ends up in your pocket. And the store gets robbed and the bad guys are shuttling everyone to the back and you know that means they are going to kill people. Well, that .32 ACP with FMJs isn't the best gun for the situation but it is A gun and it can save your life. Same story here.

Would he have lived if he used a revolver? We will never know. Maybe the extra power of a .44 Mag of .454 Casull would have made the difference? Maybe not. And maybe he fires the 6th shot and the bear is still going and he dies. We don't know.

The point is, when his gun jammed, he was able to do a 'tap, rack, bang' drill and save his life DUE TO THE AMMO CAPACITY. And he didn't even start with a full mag AND he ejected a live round to clear the gun.

I own revolvers. They jam, too. They are not impervious, perfect machines. They are a tool. When tools get bear blood and fur on them, weird things can happen. A clump of bloody bear fur could keep the cylinder from rotating. Oops. Tap, rack, bang? Nope.

You get to chose what YOU feel most comfortable with, but you are disingenuous to imply the semi-auto nearly cost him his life. The round count alone seemed to play a major factor in saving his life. Read the comments of the article. The gentleman involved replied stating he would continue to use the Glock 20 but with different ammo. Doesn't seem like he felt his gun failed him or let him down.

He does know the 175 grain Flex Lock bullets were not the right choice for bear. But the gun was in his car as a defensive tool for use against human beings. He just happened to grab it 'just in case' when he went to get his dogs away from the bear. He had no real belief he would have to use the gun to save his life. He guides people bear hunting for a living. His family did, too, so a total of 40 years of experience in his family told him this was just going to be another, routine, get the dogs and bear separated situation. Only THIS BEAR had other ideas.

I'm so glad the guy is alive to tell his story. I'm glad he had a Glock 20 with 12 rounds on board, so he had enough ammo to end the attack. And if he had done the same with a .357 Mag on the sixth round, I'd still be happy for him and wouldn't care if he still thought that was the best choice. It's his life. His experience. And when it was all done...he said he would stick with the Glock 20 (with better ammo.) I respect his choice. Saved his life once, even using a less than full magazine with 'poor' bear ammo.

And you, Sea2Summit, get to chose what YOU think is best. But don't insult the guy or his choice of gun. It saved his life. And he'd use it again. That speaks volumes right there.

I did read the article but I feel like you didn't read my post? Maybe you are looking for reasons to attack me due to other threads but maybe turning that sensitivity level down a notch would be more helpful?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.