What to do, multiple guns?

padd54

I recently aquired 6 different guns all different calibers.
I want to start load developement but am unsure of the right approach.
Should I just pick one and work my through all the different bullets and powder combinations or do I do all of them at once or somewhere in-between?
Here are the calibers and guns;
.223, Mini-14 Ranch and Target
.22-250, Howa Varminator
.243, Howa/Axiom
.25-05, Savage 111 Hunter
.270, ASI Modified 7400
.338LM, Modified AR-30

I have dies and all the components I need.

Thanks for your input,
Ray

Last edited:
I recently aquired 6 different guns all different calibers.
I want to start load developement but am unsure of the right approach.
Should I just pick one and work my through all the different bullets and powder combinations or do I do all of them at once or somewhere in-between?
Here are the calibers and guns;
.223, Mini-14 Ranch and Target
.22-50, Howa Varminator
.243, Howa/Axiom
.25-05, Savage 111 Hunter
.270, Modified 7400
.338LM, Modified AR-30

I have dies and all the components I need.

Thanks for your input,
Ray

Personaly Id load for the 22cal's and take both for one range session. That way you can shoot one while the other cools, and you'll be working with simmilar bullets etc. Then work on loads for 2 more. etc etc. Plan on an all day session each time and you'll save yourself the headache of ''hurrying thru them'', and wondering if you did your absolute best on each and every one.
Different trigger pulls mess with me alot so I like to shoot one at a time when Im fine tuneing a load, but for getting a general idea, Ill take two rifles.
**one thing to note the mini 14, and the 7400 are not known for accuracy. Every now and then youll get the exception, but for the most part its a game of chance. With the 7400 wach for verticle string in your group. Its very common in the 740,742,and 7400. The mini 14 I dont even know what to tell you exept that I hope you have the exeption to the rule. Both are fun to shoot tho.
Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas, I was kind of leaning that way also.
The Mini-14s are much more acurate than the previous ones. I have a 581 series.
The 7400 was sent to ASI where they pretty much made me a new rifle. It will shoot .5 moa. :D

Thanks for the ideas, I was kind of leaning that way also.
The Mini-14s are much more acurate than the previous ones. I have a 581 series.
The 7400 was sent to ASI where they pretty much made me a new rifle. It will shoot .5 moa. :D

OK youve perked my intrest........... What all did ASI do to your Rem? I had a 740 in 30-06, and it was NOT a shooter, so I gave it to my dad, who gave it to my brother in law. Neither of us felt right about charging any $ for it because of the accuracy issue. Ive since hered that there are a few things a good Rem smith can do but dont have a clue what they are. I may have to buy it form my brother in law if you can get em to shoot .5 moa. That'd be cool. Let me know!!!!!!!!!:)

Winmag, give them a call, you never know. My 7400 is 23yrs old.:)

Fitch, I do have the quite brake and it does reduce recoil. I have not tried shooting without hearing protection so I can not attest to the amount of noise directed back to the shooter. The next time I go out I will take the 7400 and my Vangaurd Backcountry 270win and do a comparison. I just remembered I have one of those decible reader things. :)

Here is a pic of the 7400, the quite brack blends in well,

Remington7400270win.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.