What to do with the 10mm......

You are welcome. That sure beats casting your own. I have cast lots of bullets but I can't say I like it. Made right here in Montana. I also carry a 10MM and a 450 Marlin for bear. Matter of fact I am headed into Griz country in a couple of weeks.

The 220 hardcast loads have *typically* shown poor accuracy in factory Glock 20 barrels. The 200s usually fare better. I bought the Underwood 200gr hard cast coated bullets, and still noticed slight leading after a magazine of them. So, I'm alternating 200gr Underwood and 180gr Sig FMJ in my magazines. Each subsequent round of 180gr FMJ should scour the barrel of any lead and there's not too much of a compromise in bullet performance with the Sig FMJ. I'll either spring for a KKM or Lone Wolf barrel in the future, or start shooting the 140gr Extreme Penetrators.

Thank you very much, this is just what I was hoping to find.

Here is a link to the 220 gr hard cast bullets that BB use in their loads. they are great bullets and shipping is always fast.
https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-40-10mm-200-gr-tc-per-300.html

sedancowboy, I'd like to add to my last reply to you. I called Rim Rock bullets and spoke to the owner of the company, Frank Brown, this morning. I was curious about his 220 grain 10mm bullets to find out if they were the same as the Buffalo Bore 220gr 10mm's. He told me that the Buffalo Bore company buys their bullets from his company, they are the exact same bullets that are used by Buffalo Bore. The price for the 10mm, 220gr hard cast bullets is $77 for 300 bullets and that includes flat rate shipping; like .26 cents a bullet. That beats $1.50 per bullet from Buffalo Bore. Frank also told me that Hodgdon powder just ordered a bunch of his bullets to pressure test loads for their new reloading manual they are putting together. For me this is great information for the 10mm owners looking for heavy bullets to take hunting with them. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

I use bear tooth bullets 200 FNGC. Best bullet made for a 10mm in my book. Just make sure to have them make it 0.001" bigger than your bore and leading will not be an issue. Although if you're hunting I'd pick up a 6" fully supported barrel and run them full tilt. The double tap 200's are good as well but the beartooth bullets are the best. My most accurate load uses starline brass, Rem 2 1/2, and longshot.

When I go to Alaska I carry a Glock 40 with a after market barrel in order to shoot Dubble Tap 230 gr. Hard cast bullets ...16 rds in a mag is great
Medicine for what might ale's you or eats you.

Last edited:
I do not see anyone giving you the info I am so here it goes.
Graf and sons carries some good slugs for 10MM. and they carry powder as well. hell they carry everything for reloading.
Double tap projos, 230 grain, 100 count box, $20.00 (DT49336)
LeHigh 140 grain extreme penetration, 50 count box, $38.00 (LH07400140SP)
Missouri Bullet Company 200 grain TCFP (for autos) 500 count box, $65.00 (MBHT 401200M)
I suggest Blue Dot or Power Pistol, magnum primers and since the chambers on the factory barrel are way loose and will not like any cast round, get either then KKM Precision out of Carson City, NV or a Wolff barrel. if you need the number for KKM let me know. I can look them up, they are local boys. they have a G-20 Comp barrel that is pretty easy to install yourself.

When researching this, I found a lot of people unhappy with the 220 grain bullets as they wouldn't stabilize (shoot well) from their guns. It seems the heaviest, stable shooting bullets in 10mm are 200 grainers.

I know you (Alibiiv) reload already, so please consider these bullets for your guns:
https://gallantbullets.com/collections/40-10mm/products/40-200gr-truncated-cone

Thank you for the information. I am curious if this inaccurate condition due to the twist rate in the barrel, or if it's a loose chamber. I read in one of the articles that the Glocks have a loose chamber, suggesting an aftermarket barrel change to improve accuracy.

Hey Alibiiv,
I believe the inaccuracy was due to twist rate. And there becomes a point where the increase in bullet weight will not result in more penetration due to the loss of velocity, so there becomes a 'null' point. It seems 200 grains is that 'null' point in the 10mm. More weight shoots slower, less accurately (in SOME guns), and provides no additional penetration over the slightly faster moving 200 grain bullet. If the 220 grain shoots good in your gun, no need to abandon it! But a person isn't really gaining anything over the 200 grain bullet either.

Imagine shooting a 250 grain bullet in a .308 Win with a 1:10 twist - it won't stabilize, it will be very slow, and a person would have been better off with a 180 grain bullet in that caliber, at that twist rate. It's the same thing here (220 vs. 200 in 10mm.)

If you have 220 grainers now, simple matter to see how they shoot at 25 yards. And since you reload, you could get some of those coated, hard-cast lead 200 grain bullets and test them out, too, in your reloads. I would simply go with the one that shot best IN YOUR GUN:
https://gallantbullets.com/collections/40-10mm/products/40-200gr-truncated-cone
The beauty of the coating on these bullets is they can be treated as a 'non-lead' bullet in your Glock, so no need to get a new barrel. The barrel you have will be fine (will not lead-up like 'naked' cast bullets will do in the polygonal rifling.)

You are seeking the best penetration and accuracy so the load will be effective if/when needed. A hollowpoint isn't good on bears for the reason you pointed out right at the beginning - all that hide and fat promotes great expansion, but an expanded bullet at 0.65" frontal area will slow down and stop before getting deep enough to kill reliably. While a hollowpoint may work wonderfully on people, it isn't so good on bear.

And the FMJ suggestion is great for penetration, but that round nose profile just pencils through, doing very little damage, causing very little bleeding, and producing no 'shock' going through. That's where the FLAT NOSE (or semi-wadcutter) "wins". It cuts and damages tissues and vitals as it 'barges' through the body cavity.

You have the right load...if that 220 grain bullet stabilizes in your gun. If not, the 200 grain flat point or semi-wadcutter with coating on it would be the place I'd start for reloads. If you can get some bullets with gas-checks on them, then should be okay, too. But I've not tested that theory.

FWIW...Rim Rock's website says that BB uses their projectiles in BB's loaded ammo. Doesn't address their bulk sales.

Ed

sedancowboy, I'd like to add to my last reply to you. I called Rim Rock bullets and spoke to the owner of the company, Frank Brown, this morning. I was curious about his 220 grain 10mm bullets to find out if they were the same as the Buffalo Bore 220gr 10mm's. He told me that the Buffalo Bore company buys their bullets from his company, they are the exact same bullets that are used by Buffalo Bore. The price for the 10mm, 220gr hard cast bullets is $77 for 300 bullets and that includes flat rate shipping; like .26 cents a bullet. That beats $1.50 per bullet from Buffalo Bore. Frank also told me that Hodgdon powder just ordered a bunch of his bullets to pressure test loads for their new reloading manual they are putting together. For me this is great information for the 10mm owners looking for heavy bullets to take hunting with them. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

I would go with powder coated bullets in an aftermarket barrel. Maybe the G40 or new G20 barrels have tighter chambers than my G20 oem barrel had. I don't know.
I do know the button rifled Lone Wolf ss barrel I installed in my pistol had a much tighter chamber and did not give me guppy belly empties. Both barrels function fine with everything I've shot thru them that was in spec.
Personally, I've stopped trying to turn a 10 mm auto into a 41 mag.
Even with the 22 lb spring I put in when I swapped barrels I still got some frame battering.
However, the CEB 190 gr Penetrator is the next bullet I will try in my pistol. @ 1250 fps I think it will work great.
I did euthanize a bison with the 220 gr Buffalo Bore ammo in my G20 from about 20 yards away . back of the head/neck. It worked fine . But did not exit.
1489698467795_IMG_4335.jpg

I also popped this black bear with them after I shot it with my 9.3x64 Brenneke. Those 220 gr BB 10 mm bullets did not exit either. But they did travel about 18" they the bear . plus. I couldn't find the 2 bullets in the launch after they went thru the thoracic cavity.
2015-09-15_14-26-37_465.jpg

Range on the bear was about 25 feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.