what to do with a 7mmWby action ?

McStern

Hi folks,

I own a Wby Mk. V in 7mm Wby, which just will not shoot :(

Therefore, I am considering rebarreling the action. The question is: what caliber?

Criteria:
- availability of factory ammo
- max. .325 caliber
- rather mid range
- rather light quarry (<400 lbs.)

thanks for your advice!

The beauty of the mk 5 action is that you can build about whatever you want. Mid range and <400 pounds again take your pick. Since you are stuck with the magnum bolt face I would do nothing bigger than the '06 length magnums. Any of the short mags from 257 up to 30 cal would be good. The 264 winchester or 257 wby would be good since you probably have some 7mm wby brass already and can just run it through a 257 wby die and your good. For mid range to 600 or so yards the 257 wby and 264 winchester can be lazers with not much trajectory to worry about.

Just saw factory cartridge also. 300 wsm would be good.

McStern, I feel your pain!

The first Weatherby I ever bought was a MkV 7Wby Mag and it would not shoot either. Spent far to much time and money on that thing and finally sold it and bought a new Accumark 300wby mag when the Accumarks first came out. That 300wby turned out to be the best shooting factory rifle I ever owned.

My vote would be to find a smith that actually likes Weatherby's and have them screw on a good quality barrel chambered in 300RUM and add a good brake. It will be a ***** cat to shoot and will most likely do anything you ever want it to.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.