What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
A life time in the military requires me to suggest another selection--Both

Interesting points in all the posts, but MOA is just a subdivision of mils, just like mils is a subdivision of degrees....

The whole thing is based on 6.283 radians or 21,600 minutes in 360 degs.... So 1 deg = 17.777 mils = 3.483 MOA

NATO and the US Military uses 6400 mils per 360 deg (just rounded up a bit).

The old Soviet system used 6000 mils, and the Swedish use to use 6300 mils, but I think they changed.

With all that said, my selection is both.

I've recently converted MIL, the MOA system is just so much more cumbersome for lme because I use meters only for rangeong but can think in inches, though it's just so much easier to take advantage of the MIL systems flexibility.

A FFP MIL reticle couples with MIL turrets is the winning combination for me, just so simple.

I technically use both, but I lean towards MOA in preference. I guess just because most scopes are easier had with MOA... The MOA scale also appeals to me (in size), as I don't have any MIL scopes that are divided in .5 or .2 MILs. My favorite reticle has got to be the Sightron SIII LR-MOA2 reticle so far (of all the scopes I have lol).

I technically use both, but I lean towards MOA in preference. I guess just because most scopes are easier had with MOA... The MOA scale also appeals to me (in size), as I don't have any MIL scopes that are divided in .5 or .2 MILs. My favorite reticle has got to be the Sightron SIII LR-MOA2 reticle so far (of all the scopes I have lol).

As for reticles, Vortex EBR-1 MRAD is one of my favourites, naturally in FFP.

I did not want to get in weeds about the subject, but given the above link I thought I should post another link.

The astute reader will notice that there are many "things" one needs to understand about the MOA/MIL systems that vary depending on "who" sets the standard....The more you know the less "simplified" it gets LOL!

Read this very accurate account:

Ballistic Reticle Analysis

I bought a NP-R1 reticle with my nightforce because everytime I tried to read up on mil reticles my brain hurt and my eye's glazed over , my brain definitly works in MOA

I grew up on Mil Dots in the Marine Corp Sniper program however I prefer Minutes because the math is simpler for range estimation, and the windage formulas are already in minutes. The military uses Mils for sniping because Mils are used in artillery so most prospective sniper students are already loosely familiar with them. The only downside is most scope reticles which are calibrated in Minutes are designed for target shooting and are too thin (hard to see) for low light and / or tactical use. At the end of the day they both work equally well but I find Minutes easier to teach and use in the field.

Brian Poor
Premier Rifle Academy

I use both systems. This is 2012. Laser rangefinders are abundant. I never range with my reticle. As long as my turrets match my reticle, that's more important to me than what system I'm working in.

I too am a mil/mil FFP in metres guy. I would say maybe its a Canadian thing but there are more people both North and South of the border who use MOA and yards, having said that I think the popularity of mil/mil FFP is slowly growing.

Like most of you I started in MOA and it took me a while to get the whole mil thing straightened out in my head but once I did I would NEVER go back to MOA. I worked out the numbers and theory on paper(well....after I stole it off the internet) and once I got comfortable with it I took it into the field and began to apply it at different ranges.

Does anyone have an update on the GW rangefinder? (will they offer it in mils?)

A couple Utubes i did for the math behind the stadiametric system of application for rangefinding and downrange zeroing--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNvJKBOpj08]Pt. 1) Reticle-Rangefinding Math - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s]Pt. 2) More Reticle-Rangefinding Math Including 2nd Focal Plane Reticles. - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.