What size of bushings

coyotejosh

I have just brought home a Savage model 12 lrp in 6.5 Creedmoor and I bought a set of Hornady bushing dies. The question is what size of bushing do I use.

I am using 293 and 292 bushings in the 6.5-284 with lapua brass. Your brass may have different neck thickness however.

General rule of thumb is measure the neck OD of some loaded rounds, take the average of 3 measurements on each neck for 3 different cases then subtract .002 from that number...........Order that bushing plus one size smaller and one size bigger.

My loaded rounds are averaging .294, so I used the 292. But, I found I get less runout with the 293 bushing, so I started using it.

If you don't yet have a way to load a dummy round, you can measure the neck thickness, multiply it by 2 and add the bullet diameter. This will give you a very similar number to what your loaded rounds will mic at. Providing you use the proper tools to mic the necks..........dial calipers are not the proper tool, unless they have a sharp blade at the tips.

Hope that answers your question, good luck.

+1 for SBruce

Just remember that if you measure one brand of brass it may not be the same for all brands. That goes for different lots of brass too. By doing the 3 round average, this may help with that. Good luck

Pretty sure u measure a fired case.. that way your bushing will make a loaded round almist the samesize when resizing..less runout and neck tension.. thats how i did it with my lapua.. works great

And since Hornady only makes even size bushings...LE Wilson bushings will drop right in your die and work for the odd size. :)

I just checked and Hornady jumps from .290 to .332. Nothing listed in between but they do make the 6.5 Creedmoor die???? I needed a .331 and used the LE Wilson bushing for my die.

Redding is the way to go.. just my 2 cents is all... they make alot of bushings.. u want a couple to play with..

Pretty sure u measure a fired case.. that way your bushing will make a loaded round almist the samesize when resizing..less runout and neck tension.. thats how i did it with my lapua.. works great
No, this is wrong.
SBruce is right.

It may have worked for you, but only because single bushings oversize when used for much over 5thou of sizing. In this case, partial neck sizing with a FL die works better(for the necks).

Yes, all I use are Redding bushing dies. They have incremements in .001". And all of mine that I set up were from virgin brass that had a bullet seated. So far no problems!

This is sure alot to take in at once I have so much to learn. Will the Redding bushings fit in a hornady die or do they take their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts