What size bushing for my 308?

hunter966

I am hoping that some of you can give some info.

Can you tell me what size bushing for the Redding Type S dies I could start off with for my Rem. 308.

I am shooting the Berger 168gr. VLD bullets in either the hunting or the target flavors (depends on what the goodie store has in stock at the time).

I sure appreciate the help.

hunter966

Do you have a loaded round with the brass you are going to use? If so measure the neck of one of the loaded rounds, subtract .0015" to .002" and that is your size for that case.

If you dont, measure the average thickness of the brass on the neck, take that times two, plus bullet dia, then subtract .0015" or .002"
Example .014" x 2 = .028" + .308" = .336" then subtract the .0015 or .002" and the bushing would be .334"

This is usually a good bushing to start with

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Hunter,

I normally use a .337" or .338" bushing, but Broz is right, you need to measure it yourself. It'll vary a bit with different brands of brass due to differences in neck thicknesses.

Redding suggests that you order bushings both plus and minus .001" from the size you plan on using to afford a little flexibility in just how much neck tension you're applying. It can help accuracy to play with this a bit, so it's worth it.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.