What Side Arm do you carry?

theEMP

Hopefully I am putting this in the correct category. What side arms do ya'll carry when in the back country or do you consider your rifle to be enough? I'm looking at picking one up and any advise and experience would be great! thanks.

It depends what is in your backcountry. I carry a P229 in 40SW when bowhunting in MI, but we don't have any Grizzlies. Some little black bears and wolves are about the worst wild critters we run into, but in all reality the 4 day/year drunken territorial on public land A-hole moronic "hunters" are probably more of a real threat. Like always, a few idiots cast us all in a bad light . . .

If I'm in Grizz country, I'd be packin at least a 44mag. Oh, and bear spray too :D

I carry my 44 lite in grizz area,when not and say horn hunting I have a small 5 shot 3'' S&W 357 that I like,usually a friend with spray also

Depends on the location and type of hunt. On the border Glock 19 or S&W Scandium 357. Weight matters. Normal Elk or Black Bear country normally the 357. I have traveled a lot and normally just take the rifle.

Freedom Arms 83 in 454 Casull.

It wore a 4.75" barrel for years. I just had it rebarreled to 6", for a little more control-ability, now that I have started to hunt with it (on occasion) as my primary.

Shoots like dream. In fact I took a black bear with it in WA two years ago at 15 yards.

I carry it in a Diamond D Guide's Choice Shoulder Holster. Money well spent for guys that want to carry a full sized side arm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts