What scale to trust...

These are the two scales I have.

The Lee is a piece of junk. I hate saying that, because in general I like Lee products. That scale is an exception, however.

The digital is accurate to 0.02 grains. It cost $20 plus $10 for the power supply for it.

All in all though I also don't really trust the digital and will be getting an RCBS 505 or the new 500 early next year. The big issue I have with the digital is you have to just trust it. The balance beam you can see with your own eyes if something is wrong.

Attachments

• 20161026_141937.jpg
    20161026_141937.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 96
I prefer my Gempro250 over my RCBS balance beam scale by a long shot.

Yep

I have 3 of them.

For.precision loads. Trickle on one with my little dandy and the check on the next one. If they agree I am happy.

Use one to check my chargemaster loads

Use one to set up my powder measure and.check loads every 10 or so

My wife got me a Chargemaster for Christmas a couple of years ago but I still set my RCBS 505 up and check charges randomly just to make sure. I love the Chargemaster but still don't have 100% trust in electronics when it comes to weighing powder charges.

My wife got me a Chargemaster for Christmas a couple of years ago but I still set my RCBS 505 up and check charges randomly just to make sure. I love the Chargemaster but still don't have 100% trust in electronics when it comes to weighing powder charges.

Yep

It is the lazy man's way to charge cases. Accurate enough for most loads. Slow though compared to a powder measure.

It will throw a wild one though. If you watch the screen it will usually tell you if it is over or under

I always check charges periodically.

Really like it

I have the 5-0-5 scale and the cheap Lyman digital. I have quite using the balance beam 5-0-5. I used to go back and forth checking each load. I then bought check weights. They were both on.

Even if you do not trust electric scales they are alot quicker for getting you powder pourer close, then you could fine tune with balance beam.

As for accuracy of balance beam, I get tired of and you can debate, is it actually on the line, or not.

Not sure I believe them, some say you should plug it in a day ahead of time. I just leave mine plugged in for years, on my bench. Some say florescent ligths effect it. I have to old magnetic ballast, one directly above my bench, about 4 feet.

I have noticed when I take my laddle off sometimes it varies by a .1. You could add or subtract I suppose for charge.

My check weights are only around 60, which my 30-06 loads are. Though I didn't factor another 134 for my ladle, for testing it in the range I work.

If you scale has battery, then I could see issues. At work we had one guys fluke with low battery read 208ish, when it was supposed to be around 240. Got another fluke, and it read good.

Digital cameras, say not to use rechargeable because they don't like when the voltage gets a little low.

I have Redding beam scales, RCBS 10-10, and a Dillon digital scales. I use the Dillon to get close and use the Redding for final check. I feel the Redding is a little more sensitive than the 10-10.

I have 3 scales: RCBS 10-10, GemPro 250 digital and a Frankford Arsenal (very inexpensive) digital scale. I calibrate each reloading session and check both the GemPro and Frankford using the RCBS 10-10 balance scale. Unless I'm doing load development, I use my Lee Classic Drum Powder Measure and the Frankford Arsenal scale which is quick and provides very accurate charges. For load development, I use the GemPro 250 and an Omega Power Trickler. This is a tedious process but again, provides accurate loads.

If I had the money and if I could justify for my shooting I would probably buy a Sartorius scale and never have any doubts. I have personally seen a Sartorius in action, against a tuned beam scale. No doubt I would use the Sartorius over a beam scale. But, then again...I don't have over $1000 to spend on a scale!!

Simple... None.

I have 3 digital scales and had 1 beam scale. I have to admit that the beam scale was a cheap Lee that I got rid of.

I have a Hornady digital that I got with the Lock n Load kit. It's OK, measures to 0.10gr but I don't trust it. Several times I have seen it measure 0.3-0.6gr when I put the funnel back on it after dumping the charge. Doesn't happen all of the time but enough for me to doubt it. It is battery operated and irritates me when it shuts off after a minute of non-use.

I also use a SmartReloader powder dispenser. I feel the scale on it is pretty good but I always double check it. It's accurate to 0.10gr. It has a plug for power.

I just bought a GemPro 250 and it's accurate to 0.02gr. I have only used it once so not enough to trust it yet but so far so good. It has a plug for power.

My process is to have the SmartReloader throw my charge and then transfer it to the GemPro. Verify that it is what I want and then pour into the case.

One thing you HAVE to do with a digital scale is turn them on at least 20 minutes before you plan on using them to let them warm up and then calibrate them every time. Also, do not have any fans or HVAC vents around when weighing.

I really want to get an accurate beam scale but can't find a new one that people trust. It appears that more people trust the older scales which are hard to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.