what kind of fruit trees should i plant on my property for whitetails?

LeePaHunter

I have quite a few acres of open ground and have food plots planted on them but I have been considering putting fruit trees on the properties as well. I have a couple apple trees which the deer love. I plan on planting a couple more apple trees as well. I want to plant some pears trees as well. The one I am having problems with are the persimmons. There are ao many varieties I don't know which ones to get to plant. I live in central PA and have seen some on some of the game lands but have no clue as to what types they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dear just love orchards period. I have found they love blue berries and huckle berries you might try small stands of them with lots of pine straw at their base. You and the deer wont believe what you see.

I have lots of blueberry and raspberry plants. I also have chestnut trees as well. Just looking for some fruit trees to take up some of the openess to give a little more cover for the deer so they are more relaxed when coming out to feed.

Kind of sounds like you have it covered, apples and pears are about the best fruit trees for Pa. If you have the land maybe a corn patch would be good. It would be high enough to give the deer cover and and put that nice yellow fat on em. Hahaha ya know what I mean.

Talk to your soil and water conservation district.
They should help you determine which trees would be better for your local climate..
If they can't help they know someone who can..

I have corn and Alf alpha fields already planted close by. I am looking as far as my hunting plots. I have three old apple trees and two old pear trees bit are looking to pit some more around the property that's all. I also would lime a persimmon or two just not sure what kind to get.

Kind of sounds like you have it covered, apples and pears are about the best fruit trees for Pa. If you have the land maybe a corn patch would be good. It would be high enough to give the deer cover and and put that nice yellow fat on em. Hahaha ya know what I mean.

+1! Just add more citrus trees to properly spiced them and you're golden come harvesting season.

YUM!:):Dgun)

Check out this web site from Mossy Oak.
https://www.nativnurseries.com/
We have planted there persimmon and there wild pears with great success.

Thanks a bunch. That helped me out alot. I found what I was looking for. Hopefully this spring after I am done clearing some more area I will be able to plant a bunch of trees to make my property the ultimate deer and turkey hunting haven.

My standing hardwoods are plentiful with white and red oaks that drop tons of acorns every year which have been keeping the deer more wood bound till late in the evening. I am hoping that by planting the fruit trees it will help draw them out into the more open areas a little earlier in the afternoons for archery season and early muzzleloader. Plus also to attract more deer onto the property seeing as the property that surrounds mine is all a sanctuary for wildlife (aka. Tree hugger owned). My property was an old farmette that grew up over the years so I have been clearing out the old fields and turning it into a hunters haven. So hopefully these fruit trees added to the mix will produce my dream haven for me and my sons to enjoy for years to come.

If you decide to diversify plant sweet potatoes and/or turnips. They will wait until the frost hits the turnips before they attack them. They really really like turnips.

When I pick my corn i plant dycon radishes and tall tine turnips in the field for the winter. The deer love them and it gives them something to munch on. I also plant winter peas and alfalfa for the deer.

You can also incorporate acorn trees that drop at different times of the year. Sawtooth acorn start dropping in late August. Have had acorns on some of these trees at 4 years old. Most of them start producing acorns at 5 to 8 years old. Nuttall oak is another oak that starts dropping acorns in December and January. The only downside for this oak is 15 to 20 years for a acorn crop.

You can also incorporate acorn trees that drop at different times of the year. Sawtooth acorn start dropping in late August. Have had acorns on some of these trees at 4 years old. Most of them start producing acorns at 5 to 8 years old. Nuttall oak is another oak that starts dropping acorns in December and January. The only downside for this oak is 15 to 20 years for a acorn crop.

Thanks for the input turkeyfever. Fortunately I have plenty of acorn trees on the property. They drop alot of acorns. It's like walking on marbles in the woods when they drop. I believe I am going to plant a few more apple trees and some pear trees. Maybe 2 or 3 plum trees. I am also going to plant some cover trees like say Colorado blue spruce and some green giants around the edges to give some cover from the wind. Just a thought. I will decide more once I finish clearing the old growed up fields.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.