What is your preference for trigger type and pull weight for long range hunting?

I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro with the trigger turned down alll the way to 2.7 pounds average on my Wheeler digital pull gauge. That is as light as I want a hunting trigger pull.

IF I decided to install a Timney trigger I would lose the bolt lock when on safe. I absolutely will not do that. Been there done that with a 6.5 CM RUGER American and sold it after losing cartridges in heavy brush that opened the bolt!

But yeah, "To replace or not to replace, that is the question." I might replace the trigger on my RUGER Precision Rifle with a Timney Calvin Elite and on my RUGER PC chassis carbine with a Volquartsen drop-in pack - "might".
The trouble is RUGER's triggers are "decent" on both guns. Only the RPR would truly benefit from a Timney.

Last edited:
I put a timney trigger in my howa mini action because it was the only aftermarket adjustable trigger available "that I know of". Groups shrank from 1.25" to .650". I have mine set at 1.5# because thats the lowest safe recommended setting.

I'm not saying that timney is the best trigger out there but it's easily twice as good as ANY stock trigger out there.

I shoot single stage triggers in bolt action rifles and 2 stage in semi autos.

A have a trigger tech in my 300prc and it's set to 1#

I have a trigger tech going in my fast twist 25-06AI that will be set at 1#

I understand the premise behind having a 2oz trigger pull.....but that aint me. I like to have the rifle "scare" me when it goes off.....but 2oz is a little light for my taste.
I am having a Howa action being built. I was and haven't look very hard for an trigger. I know that TriggerTeck doesn't make one for it. I have Timney triggers in some of my other rifles. I like 1.5# and under for trigger pulls.