What is the best hunting bullet 140 grain or heavier you used in your 6.5 caliber rifle

At one time I used the old Sierra 140 grain Game King, SpBt, using surplus H4831 in my 6.5-06, and scored a number of hits at 800 or so on chucks - not a bad bullet.

I now only shoot rodents (Order Rodentia) and I have selected the 123 grain Hornady ELDM for long range rock-chucks using a 6.5-06, 8 twist with RL23. Flat trajectories enable hits on chucks laying flat; more hits than those that are standing, more misses due to wind. The 123 ELDM's perform better than 95 V-Max® bullets beyond 500 yards despite velocities that are 250-300 fps slower and remain super sonic to 800 yards plus. Expansion is adequate. Should be adequate for deers.

I use two 264 caliber rifles the 260 rem with 22 inch barrel and a 24 inch 264 win mag .I was wondering which bullets you liked best for long range that were 140 grain and higher .I have used the lapua 155 grain mega tip in both of these but its bc is only. 377 .I want to try the 156 grain berger and a few more .I just have to have a bullet that will not blow up when used up close .
I have had good luck with the 160 gr. Matrix in the 264 Mag and the 6.5 X 55 loves 142 SMK

12 animals so far with the 139 Scenar from 7yds- 353. Performance has been awesome! All exited but the head shot hog at 7yds. Huge blood trails and 1.5-2" exits! 6.5 Creed at 2870fps.
Roy

160g matrix vld. Hoping to be able to get more at some point. Im down to a little more than 400 in the stash. Just perfectly matched to 264 win and a lightning bolt to everything I've sent it to.

Matrix 160. I'm almost out of them though, so I'll be switching to the Berger 156. This is out of a 6.5-284.

Here is the exit hole from a cow elk taken at 408 yards. My hand is right on the shoulder, so this was just behind the shoulder and double lung.

Attachments

• 0054F3D3-8230-4608-B945-876B1BA5407B.jpeg
    0054F3D3-8230-4608-B945-876B1BA5407B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
Matrix 160. I'm almost out of them though, so I'll be switching to the Berger 156. This is out of a 6.5-284.

Here is the exit hole from a cow elk taken at 408 yards. My hand is right on the shoulder, so this was just behind the shoulder and double lung.
That is just about perfect. What velocity are you pushing the 160s?

I've been hunting with 6.5's for 20 years. I started with the 140 Partition and killed a few antelope and pigs. The last pig was a 120 pound sow at exactly 100 yards, direct shoulder shot. Entrance was bigger than exit. She fell, got up and ran 90 yards and hit a fence, falling over dead.

Since that experience I've tried different bullets. I shot two elk with 130 custom bullets with J4 jackets (basically a hybrid) with poor experience. I shot ELD's, ELD-X's and Elite Hunters all in the 140 range. I've not had the opportunity to shoot an animal with any of those.

Last year I shot a mt. goat and elk with 130 Scirocco's and they each fell dead within 40 yards. I'd not hesitate to keep using them but accuracy is really dependent on each rifle. They can be finicky to get a good load. But, when they shoot in your rifle they're great.

I moved to the 124 Hammer Hunter (actual weight is 126 grains) this year but, again, didn't get an opportunity to shoot. They are accurate and reports on animals are good. Steve, at Hammer, says they used the Scirocco and that was their measure for the Hammer. They wanted something that was more forgiving in the load development. The tip breaks off in 3-4 pieces mimicking the Partition with the remaining flat-shanked bullet pushing through.

I tried the 136 Hammer but kept getting tumbling bullets with a 7 twist. I'd really like a heavier bullet that acts like Scirocco and shoots like a Hammer.
1:7 twist - try these. You won't be disappointed. Good BC's to boot.

Dgr and x47,
Get some Hammer bullets and try them. They make a Sledge Hammer (big hollow point) and the Hunter (small hp). Use much lighter/faster bullets than you're used to. Hard to make myself switch, but I'll never go back to heavier bullets. These things really thump animals and give complete pass through. Shoulder shots no longer mean throwing one away. Amazing. Got 8 so far. Sorry, no photos. Will get some on next deer. Still got a month of season.
This. I use the 124 HH in a 6.5-284 with very impressive on-game performance. Run them fast - the way they like to be run.

If you don't have a barrel yet I'd consider going with a 7.5 twist, you'd be able to shoot the 140 cutting edge MTH with a bc over .600
The 135 BD-2's even better if you have a 1:7
Even the 125 BD-2's are all but .6 G1...
Length: 1.635″
BC (G1): .700
BC (G7): .358
Twist: 1-7″

24 inch 264 Win Mag? Most of that powder exits the barrel on fire. Have you started fires with that rifle? Have someone else fire that rifle at night. Who needs fireworks. Seriously, Reloader 26 is your most efficient powder for heavy bullets in a 24 inch barrel. VihtaVuori N-560 would be my second choice. I have not purchased and shot VV N-565 yet. N-570 is too large a kernel to burn in a short barrel. Be careful, "only you can prevent forest fires".