What is a good set up for case trimming & neck turning

GENE,

I sincerely appreciate your reply........

I've never used nor owned a neck-turner....... I had no idea they were that precise..... This is new territory for me.....

I may be needing to get one for my 6.5x47 Lapua....... In your opinion is the K&M the best way to go???

Thanks in advance...

--------------<" ){{{{{*><

K&M, Soinclair NT4000, Pumpkin are all good. New one called 20th Centrury looks promising. Stay away from any that adjust only to one thousandaths.

Roger that on the Wilson..............

I've also learned that the Wilson inside neck reamer is plenty sufficient for competition though not very competitive:), varmint/predator/big game VRLH shooting.

I also have a Forrester but use it only on wildcat cases.

I disagree.

I have had a Forster trimmer with neck turner for years, and never did like it. Found that the Wilson is a much better trimmer - more accurate and makes clean cuts. But, the Wilson is not cheap with all the case holders needed for various calibers.

The Forster neck turning unit is difficult to set up, and the cut across the neck is very rough. I use it only when I need to take more than .0008 or so off the neck initially to get down to where I want it. After I run it down that far, and want to go another .0003 or so, I use a K&M neck turner, which is excellent.

When I got into BR late 70's I started turning necks and you normally had to make two cuts. I'd pick up two extra turners one was Forester other RCBS and I finally settle on the Forester for the first cut then I used a Hart for the finish cut. Part of the problem with the Forester was the narrow cutting blade and it take acouple passes to get a smooth neck surface vs using the Hart with a wider cutting blade. I think the Hart run over $100 now and I got acouple K&M that I'll use for finish cuts.

I'm not sure about your #'s .0008/.0003. I split my neck thinkness 60% for the forester and 40% for the Hart if my neck thickness is more than .0040 that needs to be turned. If less than .0040" I'll do it with one pass with the Hart.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.