What hammer for 300wsm

hunter0925

I'm looking at changing some things up. My wsm is my go to for elk and most of my shots will be 600 and under. I have never used an all copper but am really wanting to try the hammers. I have a Wyatt's cut and box so 2.905 will be my max oal and I have a 10twist bartlien. What hammer should I be looking at? I have considered the 166 or 174. I have a good stock of re23, h4350 and re16 and plenty of mag primers. Any help or experience would be appreciated. I only found just a few posts with the 300wsm so figured I would start a new one.

Call Steve at Hammer Bullets. He's tested a bunch and can give you suggestions. He's hunting this week, so give him til next week to call.
Do you want to use Hammer Hunters or the new Absolute Hammers? If Absolutes, go to the Absolute Hammer Load Data thread. Keep in mind that the Absolutes are a very different type of bullet and only very accomplished handloaders should load them. Read the write up on the new Absolutes. Hammer Hunters load like regular bullets.

I have shot the 166 and 181 through my 300 WSM and both performed OK with H4350 at close range. However, at longer ranges the groups would open up too much for my personal acceptance.

hi I have a Kelbly atlas in 300wsm,
I use Norma case, Norma 204 powder from 64 to 66 grains, federal gold medal magnum primer, Nosler accubond bullet.
Precise and Lethal on chamois, wild boar and European deer up to 700 meters.
The ball hardly comes out, but a great mushroom is always created, which stops the animal.
At 400 meters this recipe in my rifle fits easily in 30 mm.
Good fun

I went with the 181 in my WSM. I never did a pressure test because my first 3 rounds were one hole at my starting charge so I stopped. 69.2 grn of RL26 yielded 3090fps. I'm happy with anything above 3K and like I said they made 1 hole at 100 so I stopped. Took it out to range but didn't shoot at targets. Found rocks that looked deer sized and shot from 300-800. All were first shot hits other that 650. The wind got me more than I expected shooting across a canyon, but I was able to connect on the follow up. I have no kill experience with hammers but haven't heard a single bad thing yet.

I went with the 181 in my WSM. I never did a pressure test because my first 3 rounds were one hole at my starting charge so I stopped. 69.2 grn of RL26 yielded 3090fps. I'm happy with anything above 3K and like I said they made 1 hole at 100 so I stopped. Took it out to range but didn't shoot at targets. Found rocks that looked deer sized and shot from 300-800. All were first shot hits other that 650. The wind got me more than I expected shooting across a canyon, but I was able to connect on the follow up. I have no kill experience with hammers but haven't heard a single bad thing yet.
What was your oal? I looked at the 181 but was afraid it would be to long to mag feed.

Little longer than you can run. But I've heard they shoot great with a jump? Both rifles I shoot the hammer in run better with little jump (one .002 and this one .007).
E1777E98-1C02-4E17-92F9-6AC5D5BDDABF.jpeg
DDBC59B0-6A6D-483D-A2EE-DBC0694BB338.jpeg

You can seat those to fit your box and I'm sure they will shoot, I ran the 124HH in the 300WSM with a .085 jump ant they shot awesome
I have definitely heard they aren't depth sensitive. My concern was powder space and having to seat longer to keep away from overly compressed loads.