what groups could this rifle shoot@700 yards

30-06 boy

i'm fairly new to long range hunting.but not new to reloading.i shot 1000 yard benchrest for 3 summers,300 weatherby.i have a 98 mauser in 30-06 sporter 22" weight barrel,dont know twist.mccmillan benchrest stock,nikon buckmaster 6-18 scope.have shot 168 matchkings at 2930 fps/3 shots into 5/8"at 100 yards.i will need to "tune" my load or find another one,but what are the real world chances of this setup shooting 10" 5 shot gruops at 700 yards?thanks

30/06 boy

Well...I'd really like to see you with a 26" barrel on this rifle but your rig is HIGHLY CAPABLE of shooting better than 10" groups from 700 yards but.....please get away from the 168 gr. Sierra! This bullet was designed for 300 meter shooting and it excels at this range but it's "horsepower" is severely limited at the extended ranges! Try some of Sierras' 176 gr. bullets as these will maintain velocity much better or...what I have found to shoot great out of my '06 is the 180 gr. Scirocco using 55 grs. IMR 4350 with a F210M primer. M98s are not my favorite action but yours can be helped by installing a titanium firing pin and a stronger spring to increase locktime! Keep in mind however...if you blow a primer....more than likely you'll have to replace the firing pin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why not?

I had a lot of success with the '06 and 165gr SST. Very good ballistics and easily a 1000yd bullet. 155gr Amax would also be nice.

consider the H4350 Extreme powder and CCI BR2 or Fed 210M primers in collet/bushing neck sized brass. With a well bedded action, little reason why sub MOA groups at 200yds will not transfer to good accuracy further out. I don't like testing at 100yds because stringing is not readily visible.

Ultimately, you will have to test at 700yds to know what you have. I am sure you will do just fine.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts