What Factory Lube Inside Rem 700 Bolt ?

Rum River

A buddy's 40 year old 700 ADL .30-06 has hard bolt lift on empty chamber both cocked and uncocked. When I disassembled the bolt I found it was absolutely packed and caked with what looks like powdered graphite. The stuff went everywhere.

I'll clean it up and lube it with something else - no problem, but here's the question: He claims he bought it brand new and has never even had the bolt apart. Did Remington ever send 700's out the door with graphite inside the bolts?

I have a 1965 Rem 700 that I bought used in1975. I never took that bolt apart until I had it converted to 300 Win Mag several years ago. It was dirty in there but didn't have any thing that looked like graphite powder.

Interesting, never thought about carbon.

The owner claims the rifle has spent way more time in the safe than on the range. I'm inferring that means the bolt hasn't been worked nearly as much as we on this website would have.

I wonder if some kind of chemical or metallurgic-type reaction could have produced something? Yes, I know I'm reaching now..........

It could be a combination of the original lube and carbon from the powder residue over that much time, unless someone packed it with powdered graphite.

The main thing is to clean it real good and apply a "very light" coat of oil to prevent it from freezing up in cold weather. people tend to put to much oil on bolts and triggers and then start having trouble. A little oil goes a long way.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.