What could cause a jacket separation for a mid powered load?

I suppose hitting low would be possible although that would be WAY low from POA. My target was the black diamond on a 8x11 piece of paper. The bottom of that paper was about 20" above the ground and attached to the cardboard backing. This was my first shot at this target. All 20 of the previous rounds were fired at a target at 110yds, and POI was about 2" below POA. One difference between the two that I guess could make a difference, I'm still learning, is the 224 yd target was about 15-20' above the bench whereas the 110yd target is level.

Every shot fired was over a chrono, Caldwell and not my Magneto. Having said that the numbers were fairly consistent except the final group, which included the bullet in question, was a tad slower than I expected.

Not listed in order as the 42.5 was a left over lot I chose not to go with.
42.1g = 2587
42.4g = 2644 but that had one really hot round which if I remove it the average is 2624
*42.5g = 2613
42.7g = 2677

The bullet in question had a reading of 2617. I guess with that speed I would not expect it to hit that low and I know I did not fudge the shot that badly. When i do flinch it tends to be to the right, not down I suppose anything is possible though. A low POI ricochet could explain the condition of the jacket though.

If your shots at 100 are 2 inches low, then you will definitely be hitting lower at 225 yards. Now if it is low enough to miss the target and strike the ground is another thing.
How did the hits on the target appear at 100 ?? Were the bullet holes round, or oblong? If they were round and you had a decent group (what size was the group), then your problem is obviously past 100 yards.

If your shots at 100 are 2 inches low, then you will definitely be hitting lower at 225 yards. Now if it is low enough to miss the target and strike the ground is another thing.
How did the hits on the target appear at 100 ?? Were the bullet holes round, or oblong? If they were round and you had a decent group (what size was the group), then your problem is obviously past 100 yards.

After I fired off the first few I was thinking they were oblong but when I walked up to check it was just the paper ripping. The paper was not flush with the backing due to the plywood backing splintering from previous trips (100M was plywood backing and 200M was cardboard). The actual holes in the plywood were all round. If I'm hitting 2" low at 100 I would figure about 1-2" below that at 200. I am going to clean my barrel with some wipeout, load up some more rounds and then try again starting at 100 and move my way back to 300yds. Might even be able to get out there this weekend, I hope.

After I fired off the first few I was thinking they were oblong but when I walked up to check it was just the paper ripping. The paper was not flush with the backing due to the plywood backing splintering from previous trips (100M was plywood backing and 200M was cardboard). The actual holes in the plywood were all round. If I'm hitting 2" low at 100 I would figure about 1-2" below that at 200. I am going to clean my barrel with some wipeout, load up some more rounds and then try again starting at 100 and move my way back to 300yds. Might even be able to get out there this weekend, I hope.

If you were sighted dead on at 100, you would be about 3 to 4 inches low at 200. Since you are already 2 inches low at 100, I would think you are 6 to 8 inches low at 225. Try clicking up a few clicks to be about 2 inches high at 100, then try again at 225. What size group was it shooting at 100 ?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.