what can I do with a 30-06?

I'm totally a 06 fan. Have used the same 06 for many years hunting deer and elk. I've upgraded this same Pre 64 Mdl 70 three times. The 06 is a solid 700 yard elk rifle with the right load. I'm now shooting the 190gr Berger @ 2680fps using H4831 but going to fool with the 190gr Berger and the 200gr Accubond using Reloader 17 this summer to see if I can nudge the fps up another 50 or so.

With all due respect may I suggest if you have a friend with a accurate rifle let's say hold a half inch at a 100 yards you go shoot it and check your skills. If your good to go then you can evaluate your new rifle with confidence before spending money that was not necessary.

It's not a mistake choosing the 30-06!

thanks everyone for the advice. lots of good stuff. I can definitely shoot accurately at 100 yards. i've done it several times and I did recently shoot a target at 300 yards with a friend's .50 Cal...OH YEAH that was awesome! anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing how this rifle performs and just plain getting out there to shoot! i'll take tips from each of you with me to the range, that's for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.