Votes: 120 20.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 28 4.7%
  • Ross

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Mathews

Votes: 186 31.5%

• Total voters
It does not matter what brand of bow you shoot or what type of bow you shoot. It does not matter what brand of arrow you shoot or whether you shoot fingers or release. The brands are to identify the leading and most popular selling equipment on the market for the minute.

The Equipment is only as good as the shooter using it. If you have matched equipment, that is matched to you and you put in the hours of practice needed, to become proficient in its use, there is no reason you cannot compete with the best there is.

The people who are at the top of their discipline got there by spending hours
upon hours of PRACTICE. There wasn't one of them born with a bow or a rifle in their hands.

Manufactures shooter's have one job and that is to sell the manufactures equipment.

Been there, done that.

Last edited:
It does not matter what brand of bow you shoot or what type of bow you shoot. It does not matter what brand of arrow you shoot or whether you shoot fingers or release. The brands are to identify the leading and most popular selling equipment on the market for the minute.

The Equipment is only as good as the shooter using it. If you have matched equipment, that is matched to you and you put in the hours of practice needed, to become proficient in its use, there is no reason you cannot compete with the best there is.

The people who are at the top of their discipline got there by spending hours
upon hours of PRACTICE. There wasn't one of them born with a bow or a rifle in their hands.

Manufactures shooter's have one job and that is to sell the manufactures equipment.

Been there, done that.

Which is why my $300 leftover clearance package shoots just as well as the $1,200 Hoyt Carbon bow and everything else on the shelf that's pushing $1,000. It's certainly not as perfectly silent, but like you said, shooter's skills, properly tuned equipment, and practice will always trump the price tag of the equipment in the lane next to you.

Now there is a man who thinks like me - frugally. Yes, you left 5 fps on the table by not getting that newest, latest but who cares. Well, the guys with more money than ....., I guess. Kind of like golf equipment - there's always something just a teeny bit better for you to buy.

It's interesting at the lengths manufacturers will go to to sell their equipment.
I was at a Sportsman's Show the other weekend. I came to an Archery display
where they had all the cables locked together so you could not draw the bow.

I know they put ties on the pistols and rifles for safety reasons, I can live with that, there are stupid people about.

But ties on a bow cable? I asked about why the ties. Imagine, it was so the bow could not be drawn. they were afraid some one might dry fire the bow.

Whoa! A bow that won't survive a dry fire isn't worth bringing home. What happens when a bow string breaks? You get to buy a new Bow. I don't
believe that would be covered under warranty. These bows were priced from
$700 to 1100.00 each.

Just imagine for a moment what a unintentionally dropped broad-head arrow can do to a bow string or string cables?

All bow manufactures advise against dry fireing the bow, that's common sense. But, it does happen to the best of folks.

Last edited:
It's interesting at the lengths manufacturers will go to to sell their equipment.
I was at a Sportsman's Show the other weekend. I came to an Archery display
where they had all the cables locked together so you could not draw the bow.

I know they put ties on the pistols and rifles for safety reasons, I can live with that, there are stupid people about.

But ties on a bow cable? I asked about why the ties. Imagine, it was so the bow could not be drawn. they were afraid some one might dry fire the bow.

Whoa! A bow that won't survive a dry fire isn't worth bringing home. What happens when a bow string breaks? You get to buy a new Bow. I don't
believe that would be covered under warranty. These bows were priced from
$700 to 1100.00 each.

Just imagine for a moment what a unintentionally dropped broad-head arrow can do to a bow string or string cables?

All bow manufactures advise against dry fireing the bow, that's common sense. But, it does happen to the best of folks.

Lancaster Archery Supply is down the street from me, one of the largest suppliers in the world, I think specifically to target, but they do a ton of hunting business as well, and they outfit members of the US national and Olympic teams, have releases that cannot be fired and they frown upon drawing a bow without an arrow knocked or with the fingers.

Have you never seen a video of a bow from any of the major companies explode when dry fired? A severed bow string from a dropped razor sharp broad head does not constitute a dry fire, the bow isn't drawn when you drop your broadhead on it.

Lots of places have signs up in their showrooms - dry fire it, you bought it. This isn't some mystical rumor in the archery community that dry firing bows is dangerous and can destroy cams, axles, limbs, etc.

lightbulb

If they think they can interest me in a bow I can't even draw, they're nuts. Maybe the draw is so sloppy that that's their real purpose. I personally have never seen anyone accidentally dry fire.

If they think they can interest me in a bow I can't even draw, they're nuts. Maybe the draw is so sloppy that that's their real purpose. I personally have never seen anyone accidentally dry fire.

It's ugly when it happens and the sound is quite unique. LAS will set up any bow you want to try with sights, rest, the works and actually have you shoot it prior to buying. They want you set up completely and they service after the sale. I'll never buy another new bow anywhere else as long as I'm within a reasonable driving distance.

Lancaster Archery Supply is down the street from me, one of the largest suppliers in the world, I think specifically to target, but they do a ton of hunting business as well, and they outfit members of the US national and Olympic teams, have releases that cannot be fired and they frown upon drawing a bow without an arrow knocked or with the fingers.

Have you never seen a video of a bow from any of the major companies explode when dry fired? A severed bow string from a dropped razor sharp broad head does not constitute a dry fire, the bow isn't drawn when you drop your broadhead on it.

Lots of places have signs up in their showrooms - dry fire it, you bought it. This isn't some mystical rumor in the archery community that dry firing bows is dangerous and can destroy cams, axles, limbs, etc.

lightbulb

Did I mention any Manufacturer or dealership by name?

I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, Yes, I seen my share of Dry fires at
the archery ranges where the bows were being shot. Once in a while a bow
will explode by being dry fired and I CERTAINLY DON'T PROMOTE THE IDEA YOU SHOULD DRY FIRE ANY BOW.

If I stepped on you toes, I apologize.

Did I mention any Manufacturer or dealership by name?

I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, Yes, I seen my share of Dry fires at
the archery ranges where the bows were being shot. Once in a while a bow
will explode by being dry fired and I CERTAINLY DON'T PROMOTE THE IDEA YOU SHOULD DRY FIRE ANY BOW.

If I stepped on you toes, I apologize.

Not at all, just seemed odd you were surprised that you couldn't draw a bow, at a show, without an arrow knocked, without a release. Like you said, there are atupid people out there. Most shops I've been in won't let you draw like that on their indoor range, let alone at a show. If I came across as rude, that wasn't my intent. Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to have the opinion that a now that can't withstand being dry fired is garbage and I disagree with that. I wouldn't draw a bow again after it had been dry fired until one of the guys at LAS had their hands on it to check it out.

I've just never seen properly maintained bow strings just break. If they're maintained, they should last for years. If they're worn, stop shooting and replace them. If a string were to break during a draw, it wouldn't be at full draw where the let off is going to reduce the weight to maintain the draw (obviously with a compound).

Anyway, I'll shoot you a PM if I ever have a dry fired bow to sell. ;)

Not at all, just seemed odd you were surprised that you couldn't draw a bow, at a show, without an arrow knocked, without a release. Like you said, there are atupid people out there. Most shops I've been in won't let you draw like that on their indoor range, let alone at a show. If I came across as rude, that wasn't my intent. Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to have the opinion that a now that can't withstand being dry fired is garbage and I disagree with that. I wouldn't draw a bow again after it had been dry fired until one of the guys at LAS had their hands on it to check it out.

I've just never seen properly maintained bow strings just break. If they're maintained, they should last for years. If they're worn, stop shooting and replace them. If a string were to break during a draw, it wouldn't be at full draw where the let off is going to reduce the weight to maintain the draw (obviously with a compound).

I get it now-it's OK to draw that sob if you have an arrow with a lethal broadhead in it and a release with a hair trigger just waiting to get breathed on-makes perfect sense to those morons.

Are you finished plowing that field? You are certianly welcome to your opinion as am I. If you were a Shop owner and you may well be. I would cross your threshold twice, once in and once out.

Are you finished plowing that field? You are certianly welcome to your opinion as am I. If you were a Shop owner and you may well be. I would cross your threshold twice, once in and once out.

Think what you want. I have no dog in the fight, but you all can keep ignoring the dangers of dry firing bows all you want. And if my view on this lines up with the way my shop runs their business, and they're the largest in the world, I think they're doing something right. I mean, I could agree with you on this, but then we'd both be wrong.

Currently I'm shooting a old Fred Bear Badge that I bought used (extensively at that) from a friend who took good care of it, and I've been shooting it for quite some time now shooting bare bow (no sights) but I plan on upgrading to a Mathews HeliM soon. Sincerely- Ace762.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.