What Berger for 308win?

DoubleGobble00

What Berger would you recommend for the 308 win? The Berger would be used for hunting and target shooting. I'm thinking the 168 grain but also looking at the 180, 185, or 190... I'm not sure what works out best ballistically when you compare BC to velocity loss with heavier bullet.

Thoughts?

DoubleG

If you still want some speed, or don't have a fast twist, then I'd give the new 180 Elite Hunters a try. Good mix of velocity and BC. I'd use either Varget or CFE223 powder and a Federal 210M primer. I prefer Lapua brass.

Or, if you want to do some true LR target shooting, give the 215 Hybrids a try. Slower MV, but the ballistics are excellent down range.

I was giving the 180 elites a hard look... I already shoot the 215s in my 300 Win Mag and the 230s in my 300 Rum.... I was looking for the best payoff in velocity and BC. Mainly, I just want this gun to shoot tiny groups...

2,750-2,800 is a good MV from a 30" barrel. If you already have the rifle and have some good loads that have been chronographed, a good way to ascertain likely MVs from a new bullet weight is to calculate the ME from an existing load and see what MV produces that from the new weight.

eg 155 at 3,000 fps = 3,098.35 ft/lb ME
3,098.35 ft / lb = 2,746 fps with 185gn bullet

This assumes you change powder if needed to suit the new bullet weight of course. There are various ME calculators on the web that make it easy to do this sort of calculation.

PS when people claim 2,900 fps from 185s, that's 3,455 ft/lbs ME, well into short magnum energies. Convert it to MV for a 155gn bullet and it equates to nearly 3,170 fps which is a HOT, HOT load in .308 Win, frankly not safely achievable in most rifles and barrels.

Thanks for all the info... looking at factory ammo these are the approximate velocities I found:

200gr 2550
185gr 2600
175gr 2670
168gr 2700
155gr 3000 (seems high)

I'm leaning toward that 185 or 200 because I like the big heavy bullets. I might run them all in the ballistic app and see which has the advantage at 400 yard. They are probably similar.

I'm never used a ME calculator. That is a good way to evaluate for sure. Thanks for that info. I am getting back into reloading and just got my 308 dies. The reloading for this caliber will be new to me. I have some federal and rem brass but probably going to get Lapua brass instead

My 308 is a 5R with a 12 twist. Super accurate but doesn't like the heavier Bergers. 168 seems to be the ticket for my rifle and can still get good velocity out of it. If you can shoot heavier in your rifle tough, try the 175s or 180s.

12" twist can still handle up to a 180-185. My 5R 11.25" twist shoots the 210's and 215's into 1-hole groups...And I'm only at about 600' ASL. 24" barrel is putting me right around 2,500-2,600 FPS MV.

With a 12" twist, you should try the 180 Elites... Much better BC's than a 168.

Until I started hand loading, 168's were always my favorite, and even then, I still like them for shooting all day long at the range (no recoil), just not for LR shooting, as they don't have the BC or extra weight to maintain KE.

With a 12" twist, you should try the 180 Elites... Much better BC's than a 168.
I get that by the numbers a 12 twist can handle more, mine just won't shoot the heavier Bergers worth a darn. It'll shoot flat base 180s OK (although not a long range target load) but does not like long VLDs. Bergers own recommendation of at least a 1:11 for their 180 Elite Hunter seems to correct, for my rifle anyway. http://bergerbullets.com/new-berger-elite-hunter-offerings-now-available/

Twist rate and desired shooting distance are major factors in your decision. Even with 155s the 308 is not a laser beam, so I'm of the opinion a heavy bullet and a range finder are optimal.
I've used the 210long range boat tail bergers, stable in a 11.25twisr barrel at my elevation in +10celsius or warmer temps. They can be seated to magazine length, and with 41gr of varget will shoot around 2430fps.
The 195tmk is more accurate in my rifle at magazine length and same amount of powder. They're also stable at -15celsius.
I haven't used the tmk on game yet, well gophers, it smokes them lol, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it on deer and other thin skinned game

Last edited:
What a wonderful caliber/cartridge. Still a thousand yard caliber at least for target. Check out ALCO bullets. Excellent BC's from a 155-220 & .626-.888. I am waiting for this next season for hunting but for the target they are great. 24" 1:10 5R with 168 IMR4895/45 at 2824fps. Check out the drop chart ballistic tables.

30yrs ago and my first .308 I shot 150gn class bullets for deer/target. With the one I have now I use the 175gn class for LR target but it's not a done deal.
I have seen my shooting partner shoot the 168's great out to 1K and a little beyond (1400yds) if conditions are right. The wind tosses them around pretty good though.
I have another shooter friend that shoots the Berger 200.20X Hybrid and is claiming phenomenal groups at 1K.
If I were to set out to hunt LR with mine I'd go with a good 180-190gn class bullet maxed out. I feel like anything heavier would be too much but to each his own.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.