What are your cold weather boots?

Litehiker

70 F. to 20 F. -> Merrill GTX Moab Mid. hiking boots. Below 40 F. I use 3 mm thick neoprene divers sox from US Divers. with a thin polyester or polypro liner. They act as Vapor Barrier Liners (VBLs) to keep the boots dry and warm on the inside. In addition I use knee high GTX gaiters to keep out rain, snow and scree.

20 F. and lower -> Sorel felt pacs (W/ neoprene VBLs) and GTX gaiters

Gaiters not only keep out snow or rain but also add about 15 F. of warmth.

I cannot stress enough the value of neoprene Vapor Barrier Liners for keeping boot insulation dry. Use one clean pair of thin poly liner socks per day inside the VBLs and stow the nasty, wet ones in a ZipLoc bag at the end of the day. Yes, urethane coated ripstop VBLS are sold but they do not work nearly as well as the 3 mm divers' sox.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I guess I'm 'hot natured', so I've had good luck just using my uninsulated Lowa Tibet GTX boots with SmartWool socks. This combo works well for me from 50ish degrees down into the teens or low 20s. I also use gators if there's snow. I'm usually not sitting still glassing for more than a couple hours at one time if it's super cold.

Yep, I will give ++ on the Lowa . I'm looking at Lowa Renegade II's also, they say they are 'leather lined' though so I don't know how that would work..too much chaffing?

Kenetreck Mountain Extreme 400. Plus gaitors if there is moisture. Along with a good pair of wool socks. I don't seem to set a lot and this combo works pretty good for me. This year took my Grandson on his first elk hunt and it was around the zero mark take or give a little. The thing that suprised me was how tough that little 11 year old kid is. We had a blast. Sorry got side tracked.

I forgot to add that when backcountry ski camping I wear Scarpa 3 plastic ski boots with removable liners.

Liners and VBL divers sox go into the foot of my sleeping bag at night so I have warm boots in the morning.

LA Hunter,

You can extend the temperature "comfort range" of your uninsulated Lowas down by at least 20 F. by wearing closed cell diver's sox with thin poly liners plus a pair of gaiters. The 3 mm thick divers sox are much warmer than the best thick wool socks and they won't cramp your feet with bulk.

Eric B.

I've gone to the muck boots artic extremes for cold weather. I like the lighter boot over the pac style. I've been using the plastic bag over my feet and wool over that. Keeps the boot and sock dry for warm feet down to as cold as you will be out. -42 without the wind chill is my cold limit and I don't plan to break that!!
Your feet get wet but not cold. I've chased deer 15 miles in a day and gone out the next in the same boots that were dry inside. Staying in an outfitter style tent no boot drier set up so it does work
I have the lighter version boots from Muck, Bogs and Lacross for bow season and above 15 ish if I'm walking/tracking. Same sock set-up and will forgo plastic bags above 25 or so. Down side is not a sitting/stand boot in real cold None have alot of support for tough terrain or a solid sole for rocky side hilling. Not an issue for me but western hunters need more support in little/no snow conditions in the mountains

My cold weather boot is any boot I have in the closet for the type of hunting/terrain I will be doing, and none are insulated. I have found that applying antipersperant liberally to my feet and wearing one pair of merino wool socks provides all the warmth I need. It is the moisture from sweating that makes the feet get cold.

Also, extremities get cold when the body core looses heat. The body responds by reducing blood flow to the extremeties with the attempt to maintain the core at normal temperature. Therefore, apply or wear enough insulation on the core and feet/ hands will stay warmer.

I have hunted from the peaks of the Rockies to the corn fields of the Midwest through brutal colds and snow and this works for me.

Just another opinion.

Kenetrek Lightweight hikers for scruffing around the desert and Wyoming flats chasing antelope.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400g for elk and mule deer down to -20 if I'm on the move

Kenetrek Pac Boots for super cold and deep snow when I'm not moving around a lot.

Without a doubt, if I only could have one pair it would be the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots.

~Robert

Kenetrek M/E 400 grams unless it is really cold then, I wear my Kenetrek Grizzly pac's.

Danner Raptor when it's cold - I think they have 1,000 grams thinsulate, waterproof, feel like slippers on my feet - my all time favorite boot for hunting.

Sorel Maverick when it's real cold - very warm, air bob sole for great traction, tall boot keeps snow out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.