Cold weather socks.... any new must haves?

Another vote for Darn Tough Socks. You will likely pay $27'-$35 per pair. I have many pair in 3 different weights. When you shop for them look for a high wool count in the composition of the socks. They have a good lifetime warranty. I get the over yhe calf socks. They stay up and in place well for me.

Shop at socks addict or gobros. They go on sale occasionally.
Best Regards
Gobros has 25% off right now

for what it's worth I've suffered with cold feet my entire life. I've tried every possible new boot and sock, along with every other fad that came along.
If u are limited to just boots and socks, no boot blankets or the like, I've had the best success with a silk liner and a thick Merino sock.....By far the best has been Wool-x.....who also makes the warmest and most comfortable base layers and mid layers. Their stuff has blown me away...and I've tried many.....minus -33, smartwool, filson, Sitka, Kuiu, etc. It's expensive but you can tell immediately it's higher quality.
But the secret sauce with my feet is applying scent free deodorant all over my foot before putting on the socks. It sounds goofy, but it really keeps them from sweating, which is vital to staying warm.
I also use Dry Shod rubber boots with high insulation when I'm totally stationary. Make sure they are plenty big enough to move your toes very freely.
My regiment of deodorant, silk liner, Wool-X sock and Dry Shod Arctic's have kept me in a treestand with temps in the 20's and a stiff north wind all day. And that wouldn't have happened 5-6 yrs ago.
I put roll on anti persperent on my feet every day. My feet sweat then get cold. Wear thin wool socks even in summer. When my feet get wet from sweat wool helps. When hunting I wear a silk or nylon liner and wool socks. Thickness depends on how cold and of course water proof insulated boots. 400 to 1000 gram insulation .

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_102546655.jpg
    IMG_20210906_102546655.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Not "new," but I go with a wicking sock with stretch. Fox River or Wigwam CoolMax socks are affordable. A few years ago I bought a package of Injini Toe Socks that had a liner, a support sock, etc. I like them as the individual toes help with the cold or the heat.
Merino wool socks are just part of my Merino wool collection. I like different weight Darn Tough socks, and I really like Keen's L/R fitted merino wool socks. They come in extra light to heavy weight thickness with a Lifetime Warranty. 🧦 🧦

Last edited:
I am a huge believer in Merino wool socks. Especially the Kenetreks for cold weather. They were a savior last year when my dad and I were in Wyoming where it was -26 with the windchill. I wear uninsulated boots and my feet were nice and warm. My dad got frostbite on his toes years back and ever since, his feet have been very sensitive to cold weather. A combination of the Kenetrek Alaska super heavy weight socks and a pair of their pac boots kept his feet warm and us out hunting in the cold. We were able to stay out while everyone else drove the roads in their warm trucks.

for what it's worth I've suffered with cold feet my entire life. I've tried every possible new boot and sock, along with every other fad that came along.
If u are limited to just boots and socks, no boot blankets or the like, I've had the best success with a silk liner and a thick Merino sock.....By far the best has been Wool-x.....who also makes the warmest and most comfortable base layers and mid layers. Their stuff has blown me away...and I've tried many.....minus -33, smartwool, filson, Sitka, Kuiu, etc. It's expensive but you can tell immediately it's higher quality.
But the secret sauce with my feet is applying scent free deodorant all over my foot before putting on the socks. It sounds goofy, but it really keeps them from sweating, which is vital to staying warm.
I also use Dry Shod rubber boots with high insulation when I'm totally stationary. Make sure they are plenty big enough to move your toes very freely.
My regiment of deodorant, silk liner, Wool-X sock and Dry Shod Arctic's have kept me in a treestand with temps in the 20's and a stiff north wind all day. And that wouldn't have happened 5-6 yrs ago.
Don't mean to be a smart ***, and you may be as I was for years, thinking deodorant & antiperspirant were the same. However, a few years back, I was hunting with a cosmetic salesman for one of the major brands who, following my comment that the deodorant I had on my feet did not seem to be working, ask if I had applied deodorant or antiperspirant. When we got back to the camp, I dug out the container for him. He chuckled and proceeded to educate me on the difference. Deodorant's primary focus is on odor, not perspiration. Antiperspirant's primary focus is on perspiration, not odor! ERGO, USE ANTIPERSPIRANT! His sharing his knowledge with me has benefited me. Hopefully, passing it along here will assist others.

Not "new," but I go with a wicking sock with stretch. Fox River or Wigwam CoolMax socks are affordable. A few years ago I bought a package of Injini Toe Socks that had a liner, a support sock, etc. I like them as the individual toes help with the cold or the heat.
Merino wool socks are just part of my Merino wool collection. I like different weight Darn Tough socks, and I really like Keen's L/R fitted merino wool socks. They come in extra light to heavy weight thickness with a Lifetime Warranty. 🧦 🧦
I just ordered 2 pair of their Hunter socks. Full cushion . 69% merino wool. 25% off. Thanks for the heads up on that Lrreloader !
Forgot to say that I also put foot powder inside my socks. Helps some.
Just curious if others who's feet sweat , did they all your life or at some point start in your life ? My never did until about 25 yrs. ago.

Last edited:
Been using the deodorant thing for about 25 years now. I use slip on until I arrive and exit the vehicle. Also helps keep'em from sweating. I've went so far as change into my scent free clothing on sight also. From a scent free bag, (unscented garbage bag with leaves). Does it make a difference? If you stop at the local stop n go for anything, you bet it helps. I've always had good luck with it. With warm dry feet.

I put roll on anti persperent on my feet every day. My feet sweat then get cold. Wear thin wool socks even in summer. When my feet get wet from sweat wool helps. When hunting I wear a silk or nylon liner and wool socks. Thickness depends on how cold and of course water proof insulated boots. 400 to 1000 gram insulation .
Give uninsulated a try sometime. You might be surprised what a difference it makes. Depends on style of hunting of course, but even in my tree saddle I run uninsulated into the teens. Makes a huge difference on foot moisture.

Give uninsulated a try sometime. You might be surprised what a difference it makes. Depends on style of hunting of course, but even in my tree saddle I run uninsulated into the teens. Makes a huge difference on foot moisture.
I'm actually going from a 400gram boot to a 200 gram boot and going to use different thickness of socks to control Temps or at least try