What are opinions here??

wdenike

Is the vortex HST a legitimate contender for long range shooting out to 1000 yards? Or are there better choices in this price range??

Take care, Willie

I was not happy with both of my PSTs. You should look at the HD line. the 5-20 is on sale now for ~1300ish. Do not cut your optic corner if possible.
Maybe just buy a Horus scope. Once you get it zeroed you won't have to dial and it should always do well, nothing to brake down on you. ???
Good luck

Is the vortex HST a legitimate contender for long range shooting out to 1000 yards? Or are there better choices in this price range??

Take care, Willie

In the $500 price range, the HST is among the best you'll get. The HST is cut from similar cloth to the PST minus a few features, but the glass and internals are the same between the two. Yes, it will work for shooting to 1000 yards. I shoot that distance with my HST without issue. There are scopes with better glass in that price range, but they don't have as many functional features as the HST. For that price range you have to compromise somewhere to keep the price point, and the glass is the compromise. This applies to the PST as well.

If you can stand to spend $1300, the 5-20 Razor is worth every penny. No compromises there.

I second what has been said regarding not cutting corners on optics as well as the Vortex HD line. Solid scope for sure. One thing to consider is if you decide to move a hst to a rifle with a large amount of recoil it obviously would not be as ideal as the HD line. Buy once.......

Have zero issues with taking the HST to 1000+ yards or any one of thee other HS LR's or PST's I run, I shoot very regularly to 2000 yards, not an issue!!

The HST is a decent scope. I brought one in for a buddy & I really liked it at that price point. I got a smoking deal thru a SH vendor, the glass was acceptable & the turrets felt good. The eye box is a good bit more forgiving than the Gen 1 Razor as well.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.