What .338 approx. 52" cleaning rod?

jmden

I've gone through two 52" .338 Bore Tech cleaning rods now in less than 6 months. They are not happy with me to say the least, but I'm not real happy with my expensive rod/jag either. Bearings went out on both after even moderate hammer blows were needed to get a patch down the bore. Mind you, I'm using all Bore Tech products--rod, jag, solvent and .338 patches.

I don't like BT jags w/o the knurled surfaces to help get a grip on the jag and would like something more like the Dewey jags in that regard. Any suggestions?

I like the look of the Montana Extreme rods, specifically the .338-.50, .312 dia. 56" rod:

Products « Montana X-Treme

Any experience here?

Thanks.

jmden,

I use a 48" Dewey coated .260 rod for my 338s and my 510AM. I think they make a longer one as well, check with Sinclair.

What are using a 52" rod for? I have a 510 AM with a 40" barrel and my 48" rod works fine.

One suggestion you might try....... Rather than a jag as you mentioned, I use a nylon brush to hold my patches. Take a .30 cal NYLON brush and 2 12 ga shotgun patches. Start at corner of the patches and wrap the patches around the brush. I have found this works well for 338 cal, 1 patch works for 30 cal, and 3 patches work for 45 cal. For my 50 I use a 45 cal brush and 1 patch.

The two patches on the 338 cal will hold lots of solvent and provide a long wiping surface. They fit snugly but not so tight that you will need a hammer to get through the bore. :)

Thanks for the input, RDM416.

I've got a high comb Manner's T2 and have to take the entire length of the gun into account as a rod handle won't got past the recoil pad.

Went ahead and called Montana Xtreme as their rods and handle appear to be made very tough. I was told that their double thrust bearings in the machined Aluminum handle are 'indestructable' and designed that way in case you have to tap a rod through the bore, which happens occasionally, and still have the handle rotate perfectly on the bearings. Ordered the .312 dia. .338-.50 cal 56" version, which appears to be just about the stoutest rod in the industry. I'm hoping it'll just fit with handle in my 60" TacForce drag bag...

I'll give this rod a shot and report back, if I happen to remember to do so.

Jon

jmden, Let us know on the Montana Xtreme rod. My 48" rod is just barely long enough for my 51AM. It would sure be easier if I had a 56" rod as the cheekpiece and adjustable butt have to be moved in order to clean. I think I could avoid that with the longer rod.

PM in me in a couple of weeks if I haven't responded. Kinda busy with other stuff, but do want to let folks know what I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.