West Texas elk

Excavator

Does anyone have experience in hunting free range elk and mule deer in west Texas?

By free range, do you mean public land? There is no public land hunting available. All private land, excepting some owned by state of Texas. There are some hunts available by drawings run by TPWD, but very long odds.

No, I am referring to a guided hunt on private land. I have talked to a few outfitters on private ranches. From what I am reading there is some good mule deer and elk hunting in the glass mts area?

That's true. Prices are pretty high for elk and good mule deer, but a few really good mule deer are taken every year, depending on moisture.

Greg Simmons, of Wildlife Systems is hunting mule deer in that area and they take some big bucks. Good guy.

Neighbor next to my dads beach house had...had...some land out that way. They had native free range elk. He was able to get a permit from TP&W for his son to take a bull. I never seen the picture, but he said it was a giant.

That was maybe 7 years ago...last time we talked it sounded like he didn't have his ranches. He also had a 1,000 acers in the hill country. The place in west Texas was over 10,000.

I will have to call him this week and see what he has to say about getting those permits

Quite a few on the gage ranch at Marathon. The white's may have some on their property, I'd have to ask. Prices tend to be spendy. Good mule deer are tough. Texas general season is before the rut so it is tough to catch the bucks. If you don't get them on the first two days after you have been pattering them--you will probably not see them. If you could catch them at the first of January they are dumb with love and can see them a dime a dozen. Good bucks are still few and far between the drought of 2010-2012 was very hard on fawn numbers. We are seeing some good young bucks but this will be the first year we see 5 year old bucks that will be worth harvesting. Just my 2 centovos...

Thanks for the info guys. There is very little info about this area available on the internet. I like the fact that the state lets you elk hunt with your weapon of choose. Meaning you can gun hunt in the rut. Also you do not have to draw a tag. I was thinking it would be a nice option for a guy that does not draw a tag. However after talking with 2-3 outfitters. It looks like they are booked through the season of 2020 on elk hunts. If anyone knows of a good outfitter in west Texas for elk and mule deer I would greatly appreciate any leads.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.