Weatherby Vanguard II 7mm08??

longbowelk

I am helping a friend buy his 18 yo son a deer rifle in 7mm08. In searching for a midrange decent rifle that he can afford I have found this particular gun to fit the bill as it can be had for around $500.
I know there are better choices but I do not see anything else in this price range. Still needs to add the scope, bases and rings, sling, ammo, etc. I just want to know if anyone here has one and what the thoughts are. I have searched the internet for reviews and for a gun that has been out for 5+ years I can't find anything except old 2012 articles. It must be decent as it is still being made.
Any help will do. Thanks...

They're decent rifles. Good action, decent trigger for factory, stock leaves some to be desired. Come with a good accuracy guarantee

They are good rifles but in that price range you can get several different guns. There are an abundance of savage models, quite a few remingtons some have rebates out now, even browning has some rebates out now to get a wood stock A-bolt under 500 bucks.

Nothing against weatherbys, my dad has a vanguard ss in wood stock and it's sub-moa. Would be better if he would let me glass bed it. My wife shoots a howa 1500(almost the same gun) and it's a great gun also. I might like the Howa better than the weatherby but they are so similar it's negligible.

I am helping a friend buy his 18 yo son a deer rifle in 7mm08. In searching for a midrange decent rifle that he can afford I have found this particular gun to fit the bill as it can be had for around $500.
I know there are better choices but I do not see anything else in this price range. Still needs to add the scope, bases and rings, sling, ammo, etc. I just want to know if anyone here has one and what the thoughts are. I have searched the internet for reviews and for a gun that has been out for 5+ years I can't find anything except old 2012 articles. It must be decent as it is still being made.
Any help will do. Thanks...

I think its a great rifle. I owned one in 300 weatherby, one of the few rifles I wish I had never sold. Savage and howa are also in the same ball park.

I like them. I have a Vanguard Sporter and the fit, finish, trigger, accuracy and recoil reduction are great for a rifle in this price range. Plus, I believe any base that fits a 700 will fit the Weatherby.

I like them. I have a Vanguard Sporter and the fit, finish, trigger, accuracy and recoil reduction are great for a rifle in this price range. Plus, I believe any base that fits a 700 will fit the Weatherby.
Only two piece bases, not one piece bases

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.