Weatherby Mark V Reliability

Mr. Alfalfa

A friend of mine has offered me a pretty good deal on his Japanese made Weatherby Mark V. But I was wondering, would anyone know how well these perform in harsh conditions, especially blowing sand? I know these are really nice rifles with good accuracy and I love their free-bore, 60 degree bolt throw, Monte Carlo stocks, and strong actions but don't know if they are anywhere as reliable as my Interarms Mark X. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I've had 240, 257, 270, and 300 Weatherby Mark V's. No reason under the sun why they wouldn't be reliable.

.257, .270, 300 and 30/378 Weatherby Mags. Bought the first in early 90s, have had no problems except one had a Tupperware stock which was replaced with an HS Precision and all were bedded. All shoot sub-MOA and have killed a lot of game animals. None have ever had factory ammo through them.

Before you buy it, shoot it. I bought my Accumark .257 Wby back in 2008. I've only put about 200-250 rounds down it. It has numerous tight-spots in the barrel. My smith scoped it and said it had tooling marks everywhere. He said it was the worst Weatherby barrel he's ever seen. Which would explain why it never shot better than 3/4" @ 100 yards after testing tons of handloads (probably 150-200 of the rounds down the barrel). Best with factory ammo is around 1.25"...

I really love the rifle, but I suggest everybody have the store run a wet patch & jag down the bore first, before you buy another Weatherby. Make sure it doesn't have any tight spots in it prior to purchase.

I'm probably gonna be sending mine back to Weatherby for a rebarrel. But I have to find the time to dig the box and receipt back out and send it off.

Anyway, they're awesome rifles, just check every bore first before purchase. I didn't shoot it much until about 2 years ago, therefore I only cleaned it after every season, so I never really payed much attention, so I never noticed it. Before that was a couple sight-in rounds to check zero before each season and a couple shots on deer each season. Otherwise it sat in the safe.

Like I said, I'm NOT knocking Weatherby, just letting everyone know to keep a sharp eye out before buying. They're great rifles.

I'm sure mine was 1 in a million, I just wanted everyone to be wary and on the look out so nobody else has to send one back.

I mean 3/4" groups are more than fine for your average hunter and I've taken numerous deer with it. But I am highly disappointed for a $2,100 MSRP rifle to have to be sent back. It's just disheartening, you know?

However, on the bright-side, atleast now I know what my grouping issue was, and that it wasn't something I was overlooking.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts