weatherby Mark 5 Fiber mark

camoman80

Ok guys I have a Weatherby Mark 5 fiber mark in a 300 win mag. The barrel on it is to light for my taste and not very accurate, so I am wanting to get a heavier barrel on it. My goal it s have a rifle I can shoot Texas white tail out to 800 or more with at times and may be mulies out to 500. I am thinking 26-28 inch stainless barrel and fluted I do not know what my plans on the stock are yet but I do plan on changing it in time. What do yall suggest on barrel and rate of twist and what bullets. I really would like one bullet for both but when it comes down to it I do not mind 2 different loads. Weight is not a big issue for me ether but reasonable of course.

Thanks
Matt

What do you think of the accumarks as for barrel weight. If that is still to light I would go with a rem sendero conture. Its a little on the heavey side but not overly heavey.

If you go with the accumark or weatherby #3 conture, you can order the same stock as the accumark from bell and caralson. i think there $250.00. not he best stock but managable.

I do not shoot a 300 but i think most have a 1-10. for bullets I would look at the following.

180 accubonds.
190 or 210 bergers.

I think you will find this combination to be satisfactory for 800 yrds.

I was thinking more along of the lines of the sendaro but fluted
and i think the 1 in 10 is what iw ill be going with
Thanks
Matt

+1 on what Willys46 said on bullet and barrel selection.

I would add the 200 grain Nosler Accubond to your pool of bullets.

And I would add that for the more readily available sporter style stocks from McMillan, Bell Carlson and H-S, that about the largest barrel you'll want to put in them is something along the lines of a Lilja #6 before forend strength/appearance becomes an issue.

I'm not certain what the max contour the factory Fibermark stock can be opened up for, but have heard and read that those are good quality stocks.

If you need a heavier barrel contour, you'll need to move a tactical style stock, or a full custom stock from MPI, Lone Wolf, etc.

Have you found a gunsmith already to do your rebarrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.