1986 Weatherby Mark V Fibermark

RugerHawg413

I want your thoughts on a 1986 Weatherby Mark V Fibermark .257 Weatherby Magnum Left Hand, it is priced about $1,200 and is in really good shape. I wanted to know if it is overpriced or if there is anything I should about it before I buy it! Thanks!

That would be a very early Fibermark.

I assume blued steel, with a black textured stock. The heel of the grip should have a white diamond on the bottom.
The stock was made by McMillan, and is a very good stock.

Check barrel length. Some of the rifles at that time were made with #1 contour 24-inch barrels rather than #2 contour 26-inch barrels. The #1 contour barrels are not known for accuracy.

That would be a very early Fibermark.

I assume blued steel, with a black textured stock. The heel of the grip should have a white diamond on the bottom.
The stock was made by McMillan, and is a very good stock.

Check barrel length. Some of the rifles at that time were made with #1 contour 24-inch barrels rather than #2 contour 26-inch barrels. The #1 contour barrels are not known for accuracy.
The seller says that it is a #2 contour barrel but that it is 24 inches. What do you think?

Attachments

• pix293201362.jpg
    pix293201362.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 60
I'd want a better photo.

I'm 98% sure that the factory was not installing Accubrakes back then.
It could have been installed later, but looks "off."
Does this help? I forgot that he took this photo.

Attachments

• Muzzle Break.jpg
    Muzzle Break.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
That isn't an accubrake, but I'm sure it's effective. In .257 with a brake there is a fair chance you will be re-barreling soon if not right away anyway. The triggers on the Japan Weatherbys are nothing special, and while the McMillan stock was way ahead of it's time they should have bed those better. I think you can get a current Weatherby Weathermark LT LH with the Accubrake on a new 26" barrel with a Trigger Tech trigger in an aluminum blocked stock for about $1,600.00. Cerekote on all metal. That is just for comparison sake, but maybe worth looking into.

That isn't an accubrake, but I'm sure it's effective. In .257 with a brake there is a fair chance you will be re-barreling soon if not right away anyway. The triggers on the Japan Weatherbys are nothing special, and while the McMillan stock was way ahead of it's time they should have bed those better. I think you can get a current Weatherby Weathermark LT LH with the Accubrake on a new 26" barrel with a Trigger Tech trigger in an aluminum blocked stock for about $1,600.00. Cerekote on all metal. That is just for comparison sake, but maybe worth looking into.
Thank you for the info! After looking more into it I started to think that the muzzle brake was not factory either. Thank you for the comparison as well, I will look into that. Thanks again!!

Agree. While it looks like an Accubrake I don't think it really is one.

However, I have no idea why adding a brake would make you rebarrel it any faster than without one...?

If this was a right-handed rifle it would probably be $850-900. You have to determine if the left-hand orientation is worth it for you.
I have a 257 Ultra Lightweight with a brake, and it's my antelope and deer rifle of choice when hunting out west.
If you can find a 26-inch barrel on a left hand 257, then I'd recommend it.

Agree. While it looks like an Accubrake I don't think it really is one.

However, I have no idea why adding a brake would make you rebarrel it any faster than without one...?

If this was a right-handed rifle it would probably be $850-900. You have to determine if the left-hand orientation is worth it for you.
I have a 257 Ultra Lightweight with a brake, and it's my antelope and deer rifle of choice when hunting out west.
If you can find a 26-inch barrel on a left hand 257, then I'd recommend it.
Weatherbys with brakes in 240 and 257 were used a fair bit by many back then for LR prairie doggin. 10 rounds in 45 seconds and you can sear steak with the barrel. Do that 20 or 30 times over the course a couple seasons and it doesn't do a throat much good. That's why I never trust a 257 barrel with a brake if I can't scope it.

I suppose.
I'm the second owner of mine, and I think I have a record of every shot taken with it.
Given that it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards I'm not worried about the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.