Weather proof?

one crazy kid

Okay so cerakote or stainless steel? Is one better than the other? What are the pros and cons of each? Does anyone have any experience with dura coat? Any and all comments and opinions welcome. Thanks.

I had my barreled action cera coated and i haven't had any issues with rain, and we got dumped on elk season

Wild rose what is Melonited stainless? I have never heard of it. What about weight? is one heavier than the other? What about price? is cerakote more expensive because most custome barrels are SS?

I like stainless cause you can make it shine and if you get a scratch, you can polish it again. but then I have a lathe...

Lot of stainless barrels are coated because lots dont want Shiny when hunting

Lot of stainless barrels are coated because lots dont want Shiny when hunting

with respect, I don't believe that long range hunting and shiny barrels conflict. I'm to far away to make a difference... but I understand the idea behind not wanting shiny. :rolleyes:

Wild rose what is Melonited stainless? I have never heard of it. What about weight? is one heavier than the other? What about price? is cerakote more expensive because most custome barrels are SS?
Meloniting is a hot nitride salt bath.

Use the search function here to read up on it, and or/try google.

It improves barrel life.

Makes it pretty much impervious to rust.

relieves stress.

Stiffens/hardens the steel considerably.

Takes the "shiny" off of polished stainless.

Is self Lubricating.

You are not changing the weight of a barrel and/or action with any of these coatings nor is there any significant difference in weight between stainless and CM steel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.